Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, please see pics below. Wondering how to fix this. It was perfectly straight, then I was just spinning it around a bit and it suddenly popped crooked and I can’t get it back straight!

hopefully you can see in the pictures, but the two connecting bits that are supposed to be flush with one another are completely unaligned and can spin independently of one another. You can see in the second picture how the outside one can actually overlap the interior o I can’t seem to unscrew it though as the interior piece spins with the screw and i can’t figure out a way to lock it down.

Let me know if you think more pics would be helpful or if you have any questions.

D3650AB2-9C46-4B20-AB98-AEE4F1A73FA9.jpeg
265A642E-107B-428D-914E-A1002DC40F25.jpeg
D7644FB7-39DD-4D06-8910-6BA44D76CD11.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like the handle (#7 in this diagram) for the end weight may be bent/broken. 2009 Honda CMX250C A HANDLEBAR | Cheap Cycle Parts The handle is a friction fit, so I would pull the assembly out and see where the problem lies.

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
I don't know if a video exists, but you can try to find one. There may be many different ways to remove the assembly, but I would try to clamp the end weight with a pair of Vise Grip pliers and tap a hammer against the pliers to drive it out. Use a scrap of leather or similar material to keep the Vise Grips from marring the chrome on the end weight.

Use blue thread locker on the screw holding the end weight on; they can vibrate off if not securely attached.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
inner weight is a steel rod threaded in center with two groves at each end into which two donut shaped rubber mounts/isolators sit.. a metal ring is fitted around the outer rubber donut which presses it against inside tube locking weight from sliding out..

Locking ring when sold separately

You might be able to get thin bladed screwdriver in enough to press against tabs on ring
otherwise I'd be locking on with vice grips and tapping as flight suggests..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if a video exists, but you can try to find one. There may be many different ways to remove the assembly, but I would try to clamp the end weight with a pair of Vise Grip pliers and tap a hammer against the pliers to drive it out. Use a scrap of leather or similar material to keep the Vise Grips from marring the chrome on the end weight.

Use blue thread locker on the screw holding the end weight on; they can vibrate off if not securely attached.
Just to confirm I understand then - I should try attaching some vise grips to the end weight (the very end of the bar, the part always visible outside the grip). And then use a hammer to try and force it (or maybe the entirely assembly?) off. Couldn’t this cause some sort of damage since the screw is still connected?

As for the thread locker, you’re suggesting I only apply it on the outside where the screw head actually is? Or should I apply it further in, such as on the interior side of previously mentioned end weight?

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
If you can access the locking ring SoakedKarma pictured, you may be able to get it out that way. Removing the end weight may aid in accessing the ring. If not, use vice grips on the end weight to drive the entire assembly off. Thread locker, as the name implies, should be applied to the threads, not the head of the screw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can access the locking ring SoakedKarma pictured, you may be able to get it out that way. Removing the end weight may aid in accessing the ring. If not, use vice grips on the end weight to drive the entire assembly off. Thread locker, as the name implies, should be applied to the threads, not the head of the screw.
inner weight is a steel rod threaded in center with two groves at each end into which two donut shaped rubber mounts/isolators sit.. a metal ring is fitted around the outer rubber donut which presses it against inside tube locking weight from sliding out..

View attachment 110299

Locking ring when sold separately

View attachment 110300

You might be able to get thin bladed screwdriver in enough to press against tabs on ring
otherwise I'd be locking on with vice grips and tapping as flight suggests..

Just wanted to update and thank you both. Was able to use the vise grips and a hammer to quickly and easily pull out the assembly. Also finally to get the screw out as well and it’s just bent at the end for god knows why. So I just need to replace the screw! :)

Thanks for the help!!

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
Glad you got it out. Is the end weight scuffed? Only way I can think the assembly would bend would be due to a fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you got it out. Is the end weight scuffed? Only way I can think the assembly would bend would be due to a fall.
Surprisingly not. The end weight seems to be in just as good condition as the other side. No scuffs or anything. Everything about the assembly itself seems to be fine though, only the screw is bent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts