Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've snapped two of the plastic covers. Either at the bit where it screws to the frame or inside the cover where the rubber slides into the frame. Am constantly hitting them when I get on/off the bike. Has anybody got a different solution than just buying more?

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
I repair them with epoxy and fiberglass matting (fiberglass screen is a decent substitute). I've learned to take extra care when getting on and off so I won't break them. I use tape to create a cylinder around the broken posts, then fill it with epoxy so it's stronger than before it broke.

I cut a very thin piece of tubing to go between the bolt hole and the frame 9a thin rubber washer would probably work as well), and don't over tighten the bolt. I use a lock nut on the back side of the bolt to hold everything in place. I use a standard bolt rather than the original tapered bolt.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Best fix.... get a 1st generation Rebel! ;)
Metal covers don't have such issues! :LOL:

· Registered
192 Posts
Cleaning the rubber grommets into which the cover studs fit, and treating the rubber with dielectric grease seems to help avoid them snapping when removed or replaced. Doesn't help much if you keep kicking them though! Suggest the steel covers from Blue Collar Bobber. In my opinion they improve the looks of the bike (even standard Rebels) and they're built tough. I got tired of trying to repair the plastic covers, and the Chinese replacements need modification before they'll fit. So far, the steel covers are working well for me.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Suggest the steel covers from Blue Collar Bobber. In my opinion they improve the looks of the bike (even standard Rebels) and they're built tough..... So far, the steel covers are working well for me.
Mark, have you ever posted pictures of those? If not, please do!

Reactions: markwilliamson

· Registered
192 Posts
Mark, have you ever posted pictures of those? If not, please do!
Not a lot of good pictures of those, but here you are. Note that I have attached black-on-black flag decals. 2022 additions, together with converting all lights to high powered LED (no change to appearance), bigger front tire, and raised front fender (plus chain, oil, brakes, etc.).

Clothing Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Before anyone gets all excited about the flag being back-to-front... it's a matched pair, with the "pole" at the front, so the left side is the correct orientation, and the right side is the "back" of the flag.

Gadget Font Rectangle Multimedia Fashion accessory

These are expensive, I think. I was thinking about having some manufactured out of stainless steel with similar fittings, for a kind of first gen vibe. I had my fender brackets manufactured that way, and like the look. Not sure whether Blue Collar items would fit a first generation... probably not?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I got a lot of little stuff stuff done in the weeks before last year's Rebel gatherings! The fender-raising bracket shown below is the prototype, currently used on the Rebel, and I've refined the design to more closely follow the curve of the fender for an improved appearance, with button-style bolts, but I haven't got them fitted them yet. On this picture, the tires have not yet been upgraded, so there's a lot of extra space under the fender! In the picture above, that space has mostly been filled, but there's enough play on the fender mounting holes to adjust the fender angle and height better than it is.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Sorry we hijacked your thread Badgerbadg3r. It was just an interesting sidebar.

Reactions: markwilliamson
1 - 7 of 7 Posts