Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to all my fellow Rebel Bikers out there (well it's morning time in my part of the universe anyway). I've a quick question I would like to ask the Wise Ones here (I think I know the answer though).
My 1986 250 Rebel did it come with a safety kill switch that turns the engine off if the bike is on its side? If it did my kill circuit is nonfunctional. If it did not then I am gonna whip up something using one of the mercury switches I have had laying around in the shop for waaaay too long to remember when and from whom I acquired it.

Yeah I dropped/spilled my bike. Dang it! She was cold and warming up a bit and I was fidgeting ready to get the lead out and start toward home while it was still warm enough my standard winter wear would not see me as a frozen rebel treat by my arrival home. It had been raining heavily earlier that day (and for a day or two before that as well) so the ground was a saturated gloppy mess. The driveway of my buddy's place was showing that rain too with a fresh ditch washed out right at the road. That I attempted to run parallel to for a few yards where getting up on the pavement would have been easier on mostly level ground. But the bike not running too smoothly (being in cold temps high 30's F) & she hadn't had time to warm to operating temperature and with the added traction issues from the mud... Yeah he got to see the old guy spill his pretty bike. LOL. Since i was undamaged I will have to endure the good natured 'ribbing' for a bit LOL But my bike was not hurt nor was I (we both needed a bath though) so I am very happy.

But it did take my old bones a fair good minute to scramble my butt over to her and shut her off. All of my bikes in the last 15 years or so would have shut right off in such a scenario. I was surprised my first generation Rebel did not.

Hey fellas y'all try to do better than I on keeping the pretty side up!

Super Moderator
You are correct - it did not come with that.

Reactions: StarBaseONE2

Registered
2004 Rebel 250
I don't think the 2nd gens do either. I spilled my 04 (both unharmed) and it definitely did not shut off.

Reactions: StarBaseONE2

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
A follow up then (if I may), because advice from an experienced source is always good to get while its available.

If I were to design an auto resetting circuit to kill my bike in situations where it is NOT upright but is running, in the opinions of the membership here which approach would be better (and why) a circuit that mimics action of the kill switch already on the machine? Or a totally new circuit that would place an interruption between the V+ and the two coil packs?

Might killing fire to both coils be easier for someone to troubleshoot if they somehow were totally unfamiliar with my modification to the machine at some unknown future date? or if the circuit's mercury switch had slipped in its physical position, or accidentally been moved (or had just failed some how)?

Not having the benefit of data already mined on potential drawbacks of these different approaches is giving me a momentary pause as I try to imagine circumstances that up 'til now were too abstracted to have crossed my mind.

Registered
1987 CMX250C
mercury switch or similar device connected to the Black/White CDI circuit and ground would be all that is needed..
once contact is made CDI will shut down

Registered
2004 Rebel 250
I second the mercury switch idea. Also, if you are worried about it failing and disabling the bike, a bypass switch could be added as well.

Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
This is how it used to be done: kill switch - BikeBandit.com

When your body leaves the bike or you move your hand a certain distance from the handlebars the strap activates the kill switch.

If you want to use mercury switches, you'll need to consider all the angles. How far over would the bike have to be leaning for the switch to break the circuit? You'll need two switches, one for the bike falling left and the other for it falling right, and each will have to be able to kill the engine independent of the other. If you ride offroad or on very rough roads the switches will have to not accidentally cut power to the ignition every time you hit a big bump. Those are some of the downsides.

A strap is easier to install but a bit of a hassle to use because you have to put it on your wrist every time you get on the bike and it limits your arm movement. I wonder if it would be possible to install a strap switch in a place where you could attach the strap to your belt instead of your wrist?

Just some random thoughts.

Registered
1987 CMX250C
This is how it used to be done: kill switch - BikeBandit.com

When your body leaves the bike or you move your hand a certain distance from the handlebars the strap activates the kill switch.

If you want to use mercury switches, you'll need to consider all the angles. How far over would the bike have to be leaning for the switch to break the circuit? You'll need two switches, one for the bike falling left and the other for it falling right, and each will have to be able to kill the engine independent of the other. If you ride offroad or on very rough roads the switches will have to not accidentally cut power to the ignition every time you hit a big bump. Those are some of the downsides.

A strap is easier to install but a bit of a hassle to use because you have to put it on your wrist every time you get on the bike and it limits your arm movement. I wonder if it would be possible to install a strap switch in a place where you could attach the strap to your belt instead of your wrist?

Just some random thoughts.
dreaded someone saying that,, would rather others to engineer their stuff..
But: if it can be thought, it can, or has already been done...

there are some 60掳 normally open switches on the market,, didn't bother looking them up..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts