Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-
I recently bought a beat up rusty '87 Rebel 250 to bob out. I've been reading the posts on this forum and everything really helped with ideas and how-tos. Last weekend I tore out the airbox (literally, with a sawz-all after all else failed). I couldn't believe all the hoses and extra parts connected to it. This might have been covered in another thread, but I've searched and can't find it. Which is: What do I need to keep attached to the carb out of all the attachments I pulled off?
Although this is my 20th bike, I've never done anything like this before. I'm having a blast and hope to have some pics when it starts taking shape. I already have all the parts in that I ordered for it, just needs to be put together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you need to attach a breather hose filter, usually cost about 10 bucks, like a tiny K&N cone and also you need to get another air filter that clamps on to the actual carb.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
What do I need to keep attached to the carb out of all the attachments I pulled off?
For optimum results? The airbox itself... ;)

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Ditto.
That pod filter on the breather is an unwise thing. Moisture can mix with the oil mist, plug that up. Pressure then builds in the crankcase. The usual result it the left side crank seal gets pushed out, resulting in the dreaded left side leak.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
Hi All-
I recently bought a beat up rusty '87 Rebel 250 to bob out. I've been reading the posts on this forum and everything really helped with ideas and how-tos. Last weekend I tore out the airbox (literally, with a sawz-all after all else failed). I couldn't believe all the hoses and extra parts connected to it. This might have been covered in another thread, but I've searched and can't find it. Which is: What do I need to keep attached to the carb out of all the attachments I pulled off?
Although this is my 20th bike, I've never done anything like this before. I'm having a blast and hope to have some pics when it starts taking shape. I already have all the parts in that I ordered for it, just needs to be put together.
you would have had an easier time with it if you removed the rear wheel and tire - slides right out - i like the way the pod filter looks and that's what i'm running but it does cause some problems, moisture, gas / air mix... the original air box is optimum but not as awesome looking as a pod

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
you would have had an easier time with it if you removed the rear wheel and tire - slides right out - i like the way the pod filter looks and that's what i'm running but it does cause some problems, moisture, gas / air mix... the original air box is optimum but not as awesome looking as a pod
:banghead::banghead:
The job of an air filter is not to "look awesome" it is to protect the engine while allowing it to run well.. If your plan is to make it look awesome and then look at it (rather than ride it) then it makes a lot of sense to get it looking way you want it.
My suspicion is that most bikes that get this treatment have pretty short operating lives thereafter. Maybe there are a few good running hi milers out there, are there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the replies. But I did know I had to replace the air filter. There was a thread in this forum that had a pic posted of the breather routed with a hose to come right down to over the chain. Will that work without hurting anything? Or would it be better to rute it through the puke tube box and out the tube. Would it be OK just dumping it onto the ground?
Also This thing was pop-riveted to the bottom of the airbox. What is it and do I need it?
Well I tried to add a pic of it but couldn't figure out how. But its a large cylinder with ends on it and a few tubes coming out (or going in). Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
i think that's the california carbon canister - that would make it more challenging to remove the airbox i imagine - i haven't seen a rebel with one of those on it yet

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
:banghead::banghead:
The job of an air filter is not to "look awesome" it is to protect the engine while allowing it to run well.. If your plan is to make it look awesome and then look at it (rather than ride it) then it makes a lot of sense to get it looking way you want it.
My suspicion is that most bikes that get this treatment have pretty short operating lives thereafter. Maybe there are a few good running hi milers out there, are there?
you are correct sir - i don't recommend removing the airbox but i do reserve the right to make my own mistakes

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Thanx for the replies. But I did know I had to replace the air filter. There was a thread in this forum that had a pic posted of the breather routed with a hose to come right down to over the chain. Will that work without hurting anything? Or would it be better to rute it through the puke tube box and out the tube. Would it be OK just dumping it onto the ground?
Also This thing was pop-riveted to the bottom of the airbox. What is it and do I need it?
Well I tried to add a pic of it but couldn't figure out how. But its a large cylinder with ends on it and a few tubes coming out (or going in). Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
That is the PCV and carbon canister for CA emissions. You don't need any of it. Just unhook the tank vent and carb vent hoses and let them vent out the bottom of the bike by the puke tube.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Dumping it on the ground is how the old cars worked.

That thing is the purge control valve for the California emissions. It works with the carbon canister.
The other 49 states did not have those.

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
For those that like cold beverages, drink one. You don't have to remove the air box. Disconnect boot from carb. Grab boot, and fold it on itself, forming a "C". Then slide the boot into the airbox. There may be some choice words and incantations when you do this the first time. When you get it out, reward yourself with another cold beverage or two. Installation is the reverse, but spraying some WD-40 on the boot can help it slide into place. Be sure the lip/groove at the rear of the boot is completely seated around the hole in the box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts