Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
The new switch is 9 pin connector. So theoretically, it's unplug old and plug in new ? We are back at my original question. Now where does the stray wire with the bullet connector go ? (also in my original question)
You said a few times that you've got the left control handle. Did you get the right one as well? The Stray wire that is hanging on the left side of mine, plugs into a bullet female connector on the right side on mine. This provides power that goes up into the left side to feed the headlight circuit for the switches to work.

·
Registered
'09 Rebel, '19 Baja Pulsar 180, '04 Hardley XL 883 Sportster
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The bullet connector is connected to the new control handle. I don't think it's connected to the system yet. So turning the key on shouldn't do anything to the new controls.
An ohm meter is 1 of the few ways that'll work.
The bullet connector is connected to the new control handle. I don't think it's connected to the system yet. So turning the key on shouldn't do anything to the new controls.
An ohm meter is 1 of the few ways that'll work.
Sa waa? I speak enough different languages to get myself laid or killed anywhere outside of China or Finland, but you lost me here. The unit is still on my coffee table and not installed, so I would be very surprised if turning on the ignition would affect it. LOL !!! I'm on Atlantic Time and it's late for this ole man.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
is that bullet connector male or female?
Typically female bullet connectors are hot side of circuit while male are on device side..
That way there is no ability to short out circuit with exposed male end..
I missed that point and you're right. Thanks. Both sides did come with the package and Emil says the yellow plugs into the power line from the rt. side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You said a few times that you've got the left control handle. Did you get the right one as well? The Stray wire that is hanging on the left side of mine, plugs into a bullet female connector on the right side on mine. This provides power that goes up into the left side to feed the headlight circuit for the switches to work.
Yeah, I got both, but saw no reason to install the rt. side. S/K says the bullet connector plugs into a female wire from the rt. side. This is beginning to come together in my head. Now, I just have to remember it. Senility has it's advantages. I just can't remember what they are ! Can't believe that I didn't catch the fact that the male bullet connector couldn't be power ! And I'm an aircraft mechanic with 45yrs experience. Think about that next time you fly ! LOL !!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just today I disassembled my high beam switch because it wasn't working and I noticed some green corrosion at the contact, I soaked the entire switch in some soda and some bubbles came out of the assembly, after cleaning the corrosion was gone and the high beam came to life again. Most of the harness connections are under a cover behind the headlight, real easy to get at. Did your switch come with a harness or just a bare switch? On mine there are 4 wires coming out of the switch and in to the abyss, most likely behind the headlight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mine has 9 wires into plug +yellow wire on lft. side and 7 into plug +yellow on rt.. I assume these 2 plugs have matching plugs inside the rat's nest. Anybody confirm that ?

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
Inside the spice Box you have a male 6 connector coming from the left, and a female 4 prong connector coming from the right. Along with a few extra wires. It is not plug in play.(look at post #4 on this thread. It explains in a little more detail).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looking at my switch it has 4 wires, supply, ground, low beam and high beam (low beam is on all the time) therefore that terminal is hot all the time, those 4 wires may go into a plug assembly behind the headlight. The high beam terminal on my switch was corroded and dipping it in a solution of baking soda cleaned it up nicely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Never knew how much I liked that rocker switch !! I'll just stick with it. Aircraft are a lot simpler.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It really isn't that complicated.
Of course I've designed a lot of equipment for switching and ethernet and cable modem transfer switches, & did some fiber optic work for a few years.....so comparatively this is simple.:whistle:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Emil, I'm 75, been thru open heart, had a massive heart attack and still ride. I avoid any stress and work of any kind. I have 2 brain cells left and they have to alternate. If you are smart, you will buy a life insurance, that doesn't require a medical, in my name. I won't even ask for a split on the payoff. LOL !

• Love
Reactions: Emil

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
After all that I'm happy to hear you're still riding.
A comment about your footnote in your signature line. When I changed the sprockets from the original design 14:33, to the 15:30, it's like having 6th gear. ;)

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Sixth gear is on the CMX450.;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Reactions: Emil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After all that I'm happy to hear you're still riding.
A comment about your footnote in your signature line. When I changed the sprockets from the original design 14:33, to the 15:30, it's like having 6th gear. ;)
Actually, that sounds more promising than the switch change. Will that increase my mpg ? I'm only getting 81-103 mpg now. Hey, we have a lot of steep hills/mountains (if you live in Nebraska). Guess it's true: We were meant to suffer ! I have friends betting on whether I expire before my drivers license. Makes no since for me to bet.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It really will not increase your miles per gallon. It will not increase how fast you can go. The only thing that really does is make the gearing taller, (you stay in each gear longer), and the engine runs a lot lower RPM's when you are cruising.
Here in Northern Ohio it's mostly flat. I average around 75-80 miles per gallon. But in Southern Ohio where it's nice and hilly I was able to get over a hundred miles per gallon.
Up here we can get eight years worth on a driver's license. Until we reach 65 then after that it's only four years each time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It really will not increase your miles per gallon. It will not increase how fast you can go. The only thing that really does is make the gearing taller, (you stay in each gear longer), and the engine runs a lot lower RPM's when you are cruising.
Here in Northern Ohio it's mostly flat. I average around 75-80 miles per gallon. But in Southern Ohio where it's nice and hilly I was able to get over a hundred miles per gallon.
Up here we can get eight years worth on a driver's license. Until we reach 65 then after that it's only four years each time.
Sint Maarten is small, steep ridges and few straight-a-ways to get over 60 mph. Best to leave well enough alone, including the switch. Seldom ride at nite except to get home. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to be when I grow up! A bientot

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Islands need the original gearing more than those of us with country roads for thousands of miles. Bye, take care

21 - 38 of 38 Posts