Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Rebel, '19 Baja Pulsar 180, '04 Hardley XL 883 Sportster
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have one of those Chinie switches for the lft. side that has the trigger for flashing the high beam. Who has installed one and can give instructions ? Where it plugs in in the rat's nest is a a block connector, but there is a single yellow wire with a bullet connector and would like to know where it goes before I go in. Of course there were no instructions.

"No human situation is so miserable, that it cannot be made worse by the presence of a policeman". Brendan Behan

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
For your 2nd gen Rebel you would have to run a lead from Blue/White circuit to switch than from switch to connect to Blue high beam circuit..
only yellow circuits on Rebel come from alternator and go to voltage regulator.. none are located in junction box..

Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I have rebuilt the switches for my 450's. I buy the 250 switches on ebay that look good. They are the same size as the 450's only the wiring is different. I would look on ebay for used switches and if the wiring is different you can use your wiring harness from your bike and it should work. I tried the Chines switches and they didn't work for me!
This is what the parts look like inside the switch. Be careful there are a whole lot of small parts, and ever thing needs to be cleaned with lacquer thinner and dielectric grease used sparingly on the parts that rub together. If you go to my sight and check on albums you can see the way the new covers look when I finish them

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
I replaced mine for one of those that flashes the high beam. Basically everything is color for color except for I think the one that comes from the left (mine is red/w) is supposed to tie to the single lead (blu/w) that comes from the right control from the same company. Mine look like this.
I replaced the 6 & 4 pin connectors for 9 pin connectors inside The Rat's Nest for both sides. That way in the future I can just unplug that one and plug in a new one if I ever have to.
These are the connectors that I used.
They actually sent me two of each male and female with the appropriate pins connectors. Nice company, very fast shipping.
Of course mine is an 85 so things may be a little bit different on the 2nd gen.
Somewhere I wrote down where each wire connected in the colors of each. I'll start searching for it. But like I said everything else was pretty much color for color.
In addition, the horn is wired to switch the ground not the hot, so you'll need to change the connections to connect the other side to the "black" hot lead under the gas tank.
1 more thing, if you use the right control handle, the headlight is not disconnected when depressing the start button. It is designed to go through the slide switch for markers & headlamp. I didn't use it that way. I connected hazzard & fog light to it instead.
If you look at this post page 2 comment #38, (sorry I haven't learned how to make a direct link to it yet), you can see if mine are the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys really know your merde ! After reading your replies, I've realized now how much I love that rocker switch ! Y'all also made me think of those brownies that have been in my freezer for a year. I could turn it over to a local and when I got it back, it would probably be 1/2 kg of tape and all in a freezer bag that wouldn't leave enough space to remount the light. (Price of living in Paradise !). I had visions of unplugging one block and plugging in the other one and trying to figure where that stray wire went. Always the dreamer !

Reactions: Emil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have rebuilt the switches for my 450's. I buy the 250 switches on ebay that look good. They are the same size as the 450's only the wiring is different. I would look on ebay for used switches and if the wiring is different you can use your wiring harness from your bike and it should work. I tried the Chines switches and they didn't work for me!
This is what the parts look like inside the switch. Be careful there are a whole lot of small parts, and ever thing needs to be cleaned with lacquer thinner and dielectric grease used sparingly on the parts that rub together. If you go to my sight and check on albums you can see the way the new covers look when I finish them
Yeah, I've taken that switch apart and O/H it before. Been there, done that, but haven't had T-shirts made yet.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
You guys really know your merde ! After reading your replies, I've realized now how much I love that rocker switch ! Y'all also made me think of those brownies that have been in my freezer for a year. I could turn it over to a local and when I got it back, it would probably be 1/2 kg of tape and all in a freezer bag that wouldn't leave enough space to remount the light. (Price of living in Paradise !). I had visions of unplugging one block and plugging in the other one and trying to figure where that stray wire went. Always the dreamer !
The goal was not to overwhelm, it was to tell you what needed to be done, so that you'd be able to do it without running into the same problems that I had.
They are VERY nice, once installed!
True, the push button takes some getting used to, but IMO, it is a good upgrade. 👍

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The goal was not to overwhelm, it was to tell you what needed to be done, so that you'd be able to do it without running into the same problems that I had.
They are VERY nice, once installed!
True, the push button takes some getting used to, but IMO, it is a good upgrade. 👍
Sounds like all those wires have to be connected individually instead of by the simple cannon plug type connector provided. I just like that trigger switch on my Pulsar, but not that much. On this Rock, I estimate between 1 of 5 or 7 keep their lights on bright and it's irritating, but I can live with it. My Rebel is my main squeeze and don't want it tied up. The switch was only $15 anyway. I'm 75, sold my truck and only ride bikes now (for 61 yrs.). Only way to get around on hilly islands with only narrow 2 lane roads.
A bientot

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
IMO the 1st generation 85-87 Rebel junction box wiring is easier to work with than your 09 which groups circuits differently in the stock multi prong connectors..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO the 1st generation 85-87 Rebel junction box wiring is easier to work with than your 09 which groups circuits differently in the stock multi prong connectors..
The advert. said it was for my '09. I still don't see where anybody has told me if there is a phenolic block coupling where all but the 1 stray wire simply plugs in. The maker must have known something when they went to the trouble of fitting all those wires in that coupling.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
Chinese aftermarket parts often claim to be compatible when they are not plug and play.

There is an industry solely devoted to supplying vintage phenolic couplers and wire terminals..

I use Cycle Terminal most often

and Vintage Connections comes to my aid from time to time

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I think they were probably made for one of the many Rebel copies. They will work on the Rebel you'll just have to change the wiring & connectors a little bit. The colors are almost all the same as my '85'.
On the one side I was able to just pull the pins out of the 6 pin connector inside the connection box and put them in the 9 pin. The 4 pin however is the opposite gender and the connectors have to be replaced completely in order to plug in properly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they were probably made for one of the many Rebel copies. They will work on the Rebel you'll just have to change the wiring & connectors a little bit. The colors are almost all the same as my '85'.
On the one side I was able to just pull the pins out of the 6 pin connector inside the connection box and put them in the 9 pin. The 4 pin however is the opposite gender and the connectors have to be replaced completely in order to plug in properly.
The new switch is 9 pin connector. So theoretically, it's unplug old and plug in new ? We are back at my original question. Now where does the stray wire with the bullet connector go ? (also in my original question)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It's not quite unplug old and plug in new. You have to do some
reconfiguring in order to make it work.. The the extra wire is (if I remember correctly), the lead that is for the headlights power. The only way to be sure is take an ohm meter to it, and test each button from that wire to ground, Or hot as the case may be.
Judging from the color differences alone, it seems that yours may be from a different manufacturer than mine.
Mine did have black as hot, dark green as ground, light green as horn, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
is the stray wire from new switch assembly or part of Rebel wire harness?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is the stray wire from new switch assembly or part of Rebel wire harness?
The stray(yellow) wire is from the switch and I assume it is for the high beam trigger. I would assume that it goes to the high beam connection on the bulb. I'll get around to going into it (probably after hurricane season is over).

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
That should be easy to figure out.. volt meter or 12v test light between bullet connector and ground with ignition switch on, press high beam flash button.. If you get power reading you than could tap it into Blue high beam circuit..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For your 2nd gen Rebel you would have to run a lead from Blue/White circuit to switch than from switch to connect to Blue high beam circuit..
only yellow circuits on Rebel come from alternator and go to voltage regulator.. none are located in junction box..

View attachment 111472

View attachment 111472
Thanks S/K. Some helpful info and a good wiring diagram. Mine got soaked in brake fluid. LOL.

Pessimist: Optimist with experience.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
That should be easy to figure out.. volt meter or 12v test light between bullet connector and ground with ignition switch on, press high beam flash button.. If you get power reading you than could tap it into Blue high beam circuit..
The bullet connector is connected to the new control handle. I don't think it's connected to the system yet. So turning the key on shouldn't do anything to the new controls.
An ohm meter is 1 of the few ways that'll work.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
is that bullet connector male or female?
Typically female bullet connectors are hot side of circuit while male are on device side..
That way there is no ability to short out circuit with exposed male end..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts