Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)
Have any of you guys, experienced over heating issues with aftermarket pipes.
Not so much because of the change in air/fuel ratio, but because of the thin walled header pipes?
The original pipes are pretty thick, and I imagined it helps a lot with the cooling of the cylinder heads.
Or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,201 Posts
The original pipes are double walled, which means you won't feel the heat very much coming from them. As to the pipes themselves causing the engine to get hotter? I don't think so.??.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, being that the originals are so thick helps the engine a lot with heat dissipation and makes it run cooler.
That's my fear with after market pipes, seeing that they all have pretty thin header pipes.
And wont be as efficient dispersing heat away from the cylinder heads.

But maybe its not a problem ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm no exhaust expert but from what I can muster I would not think this makes much of a difference, if any at all. First of all the wind is coming through and taking away heat from the pipes and the engine. Try to touch the stock pipes... no fun. They aren't much cooler than any other pipes you will put on there. Did you get it properly tuned? That is my guess as to why it is running more hot.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,201 Posts
You know, I've never actually checked the temperature of my engine when it was hot. I'll have to do that. Did you test it with a tool like this, or just by how it seems to feel? I ask this because I'm reminded of those that make changes to their Rebels & say they feel more power with their "Butt dynamo" as it's been called. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but that varied conditions can make things feel different.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't installed the new pipes yet :)
I will probably have the adjust the carb slightly, though the exhaust comes with "baffles" and I've also installed a db silencer.

I'm not looking for screamer, I just want a more classic motorcycle sound. ( one I can exactly hear )

A good way to check the temperature and insure its within bounds.
Is a cylinder head temperature censor, its a little washer/gasket that fits around the spark plug.
I believe it would provide the most accurate reading, and you would also be able to monitor it, while hauling down the road.
Works well in traffic jams, and other types of slow moving stop and go traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts