Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! My wife rides the 1100, and has been fine with the battery powered heated glove so far. We have the heated grips on order, but slow getting here. I have been thinking about adding the Warm & Safe liner and gloves to her bike for more reliable comfort as the winter progresses. We regularly go out when it's in the 40s, and she does fine for an hour or two, but I would like to insulate her from the cold a bit better.

I read that the Rebel 1100 makes about 419 watts off the alternator, but cannot seem to find any data on the normal operating loads (lights, fuel pump, ABS, etc.) to know how much excess wattage I have access to. The Warm & Safe liner and gloves I use on my bike use abut 142 watts at max heat. I called Honda customer service, no help. Called my dealer, and he called the Honda Tech Line, they referred him to Japan. So no help there.

Anyone measured the consumption of the standard electrical load on their 1100?

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Welcome to The Forum. As much as we'd like to help, we have no idea about the 3rd generation. This forum is generally first and second generation Rebels. Always glad to meet another rider though.
142 watts would kill any of the 250s, probably the 450s as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can't answer all your questions but here are two general ideas.
  1. Using a clamp on type current meter, or a directly wired inline ammeter, and a voltmeter, measure current draw and voltage when the bike is running at various speeds. That should give you an idea about maximum electrical power consumed by the bike.
  2. If you know the pressure differential across the fuel pimp and the fuel flow rate, multiplying the two will give you the power drawn by the pump. You have to use consistent sent of units. You can't use PSI and cc per minute for example. Use Pascals (or Newtons per square meter) for pressure and litres per second for fuel flow rate. Their product gives you the answer in Joules per second, the same thing as watts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts