Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, sorry for my incompetence. Today I was trying to add a newly purchased battery cover to my 1997 rebel 250 and I must have created a mess. I have noticed that there is a metallic male connector in the engine that is dropping gasoline. I also noticed that there is a disconnected plastic pipe really close to that metallic male connector. PLEASE SEE THE PHOTO BELOW. My first thought that by mistake, I detached the plastic pipe from the dripping male connector. So I just re-inserted the plastic pipe to the male connector. BUT: it does not look correct to me and also now the engine start but whenever i reach the second gear the engine dies. What a mess! Can anybody explain me what should I do to fix? What are those two parts used for? Do they need t be connected? I can add more photos if this is one is not correct. Thanks! Luca

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Better photo

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Black

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
The end of that tube should lead to ground, not be connected to the bottom of the carb. Try tightening the screw near the leak. If that doesn't stop it then you need a new o-ring on the screw. That screw and outlet is to drain the bottom of the carb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. That makes sense. I will leave the tube alone and see if I can avoid the dripping tightening the screw. Thank you very much.
Luca

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Possibly, but then the overflow tube should be carrying the gas to the floor, which it's not. Leaking out of the drain screw nipple is probably a bad screw or O-ring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The end of that tube should lead to ground, not be connected to the bottom of the carb. Try tightening the screw near the leak. If that doesn't stop it then you need a new o-ring on the screw. That screw and outlet is to drain the bottom of the carb.
Hello, thank for you response. I tighten the screw but the dripping of the gasoline increased. I drained the tank. I removed the screw and I do not found any o-ring. Do you know where i can find the o-ring you are talking about and where to put it?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
Hello, thank for you response. I tighten the screw but the dripping of the gasoline increased. I drained the tank. I removed the screw and I do not found any o-ring. Do you know where i can find the o-ring you are talking about and where to put it?
Thanks.
Product Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Parallel
The o-ring is sold as part of a gasket set but you can probably find one that will work at an auto parts store. It has to be nitrile or PTFE or other to resist gas. The inside dimension should fit on the needle valve, #37 above, the outside dimension should fit inside the lower hole in the bowl where the needle valve came out of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts