Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, all...

I've owned this bike since the early '90's and have allowed it to garage idle for 20+ years until recently. My bad, I know. I've made the decision to recondition her and have an experienced tech available to assist with some of the work. I'd like the bike to remain stock if at all possible. I boxed up my carbs and sent them to Jack's Rebel Warehouse a year ago and they came back "supposedly" ready to go. My tech says they still need a rebuild before using, and is trying to push me toward a Mikuni setup... which in total will change both the carbs and the air filter/air box arrangement and therefore nix the stock-equipped/appearance idea.

Can anyone out there direct me to a source where a good complete rebuild kit can be acquired? I will consider good used parts to the extent reasonable, where new items may no longer be available. This bike only has 7900 original miles, so the wear/tear is primarily due to idleness and age. I think we can source all other parts needed, but if there is a source beyond Jack's that handles vintage 450 items, please clue me in. Thanks for any and all prompt responses!!

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
How well do you trust your tech friend? Are you paying him, or is he helping for free? I ask this because I can't imagine Jack would send you reconditioned carbs that aren't ready to be installed. That's just not his style. Why does your tech think they need to be rebuilt? If he has a crystal ball that tells him they aren't up to snuff without mounting them and firing the engine up, he could make a fortune freelancing. But that's not realistic. I know I'm not part of this equation, but if I were you, absent a valid explanation from the tech as to why you need reconditioned or new carbs, I'd look for another tech.

That said, yes there are rebuild kits available for the 450: cmx450 carb kit | eBay

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
I'm in total agreement with flitecontrol..
Hacking your bike apart to install Mikuni will devalue it terribly..

Reactions: jjsea55

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy... I'm not slamming Jack. I've had lengthly chats with him and he IS genuine. However, I do know that he doesn't do the work and it is assigned to a sub at another address to handle this aspect of his offering... or at least it was when I sent them off a year or so ago. My guy is solid... been wrenching foreign bikes and autos for decades. The carbs were not as clean as they should have been. The existing gaskets were overlayed with some gasket compound as opposed to being replaced. The accelerator pump was totally stuck in place with no movement. My tech is wary to warranty the install without re-kitting the units. I'll admit my utter surprise, too, when he showed me the work.

The Mikuni system is probably a fine option if someone is not concerned with originality. I've owned this bike a long time, and although I've done it bad by garage queening it, I'd like to bring her back functionally and aesthetically. And yes, this technician comes at a rather high price due to his experience and the lack of anyone locally caring to attend to a bike this aged.

He told me this morning that he had a connection in Canada that may have the parts he wants to complete the rebuild. Hopefully this will include the pump-related items needed, as well as the usual kit items.

I really appreciate both of your responses... and am very thankful that this forum exists to provide exchanges such as this one. I'll make a note of the eBay link provided... thanks, again!

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
If the carbs you got from Jack aren't right, I'd explain to him why and ask him to make it right. No sense in paying for something twice when it should be correct the first time, and I'm sure Jack would like to know if the "reconditioned" carbs he is paying someone else to refurbish aren't up to snuff. If the accelerator pump is damaged, it can be replaced with a new one, but it might involve cutting the the new stem to length. Gaskets, as shown in the link above, are cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the carbs you got from Jack aren't right, I'd explain to him why and ask him to make it right. No sense in paying for something twice when it should be correct the first time, and I'm sure Jack would like to know if the "reconditioned" carbs he is paying someone else to refurbish aren't up to snuff. If the accelerator pump is damaged, it can be replaced with a new one, but it might involve cutting the the new stem to length. Gaskets, as shown in the link above, are cheap and readily available.
It's quite possible I'll let him know about it. It's my bad that I had this done a while back and then had to shelve the project until now. I verified the contents of the returned package, but didn't examine them... just assumed they would be ready to go when I was. Their status shouldn't have been altered while wrapped up in the box waiting, but any warranty he offered would have naturally expired by now.

I appreciate your reaching out and providing the link. I'm certain I'll be looking to Jack for future acquisitions during the restore.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
We all have access to that Canadian carb connection who is a well known North American importer should you want Authentic Japanese rebuild kits..

IMO you shouldn't need any hard parts, in reality the only consumables are rubber parts.. Seals and rubber tipped float valve needle.. Brass parts are reusable after cleaning..

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Jack is a stand up guy and JRW is a stand up business. The person you speak of, that you sent the carbs to has way more knowledge and experience specifically with Rebel 450 carbs than likely anyone in the US. I know him.

You should get a manual, get the bike running yourself before you take the advice of a 'solid', 'expensive' tech whom is pushing you to do a set up (1) other that the one that is proven to work (OEM-didn't you want it original?), (2) for no significant benefit to the you or the motorcycle, and (3) is going to be expensive. Remember: he does not get paid a lot of expensive tech hours if the carbs you have bolt on and go, right? One less thing for him to do!

If it were me....and I had a box with a set of 450 carbs in it....that I paid JRW to clean up a couple few years ago....and it's just been sitting there....I would bolt them boys on and go!

There is a member on here that has successfully converted a 450 to Mikuni's and sells them too-they ain't cheap neither. I would bet a set of those would be less than what your guy is about to charge you!

Good luck with your re-build!

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
It's quite possible I'll let him know about it. It's my bad that I had this done a while back and then had to shelve the project until now. I verified the contents of the returned package, but didn't examine them... just assumed they would be ready to go when I was. Their status shouldn't have been altered while wrapped up in the box waiting, but any warranty he offered would have naturally expired by now.

I appreciate your reaching out and providing the link. I'm certain I'll be looking to Jack for future acquisitions during the restore.
Regarding Jack's warranty, if any, you won't know until you talk to him. If I cleaned a carb for someone and they returned it a year later in the same package I sent it in, and said something wasn't right, I would redo the carb, no questions asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts