Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the origional exhaust system with a custom system. The new system is essentially straight pipes. The bike has 47 000 km on it so Im going to remove the carbs and get them cleaned in a ultasonic cleaner but i need help on increasing the air going to the carbs. Ive heard of rejetting them but im wondering if the fuel/air pilot screw can be adjusted to fix this without messing with the jets. Any advice on fixing this? i really dont want to change the pipes i made, Thanks

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The pilot screw will not give you what you need. With straight pipes you need bigger jets. Think 120 or higher for the main and 40 or more for the pilot. You will likely need 1-2 shims as well. The factory jets are way too lean and do not provide enough fuel for open intakes and pipes.

Changing the jets and shimming is not rocket science, you can do it. You'll need your Jedi training and a lot of patience to get those throttle cables on and off of that carb though, but after a few times you'll be able to pop that carb off and change jets and/or shim in about 20 minutes! You will likely need to change them a few times with test rides in between to get the mix right for the particular mods you have.

It only makes sense that if you are removing the carbs to get them cleaned you would upgrade the jets. Ask the person that is cleaning them to put in bigger jets and a shim. Its really just taking off the float bowls and screwing them in. For shims, you take off the caps, remove the slide, unlock the needle and remove, add shim and put it all back.

For more air, since you are (now) rejetting, put a pair of pods on. You will get all the air the carbs can suck in.

I you go with pods for intake, ask your carb cleaner to put a ~130+ main, a 40 idle and 1 shim. I'll bet you a cold one, you will be smiling upon return from the test run!

I like Stella Artois. :)

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts