Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was given my 85 250 and have been messing on it. cleaned the carb on it and it will now crank if its set with the fuel on, but dies in a few seconds and wont restart. Runs great on starter fluid, so ignition is good. Thinking the main jet may still be clogged. Am I on the right track or is there something else I need to look into. Thanks yall.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,729 Posts
How did you clean the carburetor. Ultrasonic cleaner, or chem dip? How long did the process take? Was it completely disassembled? There are many things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you clean the carburetor. Ultrasonic cleaner, or chem dip? How long did the process take? Was it completely disassembled? There are many things that can go wrong.
Disassembled and cleaned with carb cleaner and a brush/wire. Took about an hour start to finish.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,729 Posts
There are many small areas that can be clogged and you won't even know it. Many here have soaked them in chem-dip for several days and still had problems after reassembly. They had to do it 2 or 3 times. The ultrasonic cleaner is the best fastest way to clean them. One of the jets has a fine mesh screen in it, (I always forget which one), so do not run a wire thru them without checking the manual 1st.

Reactions: JSJJ388

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are many small areas that can be clogged and you won't even know it. Many here have soaked them in chem-dip for several days and still had problems after reassembly. They had to do it 2 or 3 times. The ultrasonic cleaner is the best fastest way to clean them. One of the jets has a fine mesh screen in it, (I always forget which one), so do not run a wire thru them without checking the manual 1st.
wish I had an ultra sonic cleaner. would be handy for sure. I did see the jet with a screen in it. I used a cleaner with the straw to get as many of the places as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Also, 1 of the jets can be easily be put in backwards causing a similar issue. My mind isn't what it used to be, but if you do a search for "recent" carburetor questions, this was recently addressed.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, 1 of the jets can be easily be put in backwards causing a similar issue. My mind isn't what it used to be, but if you do a search for "recent" carburetor questions, this was recently addressed.
thanks. Ill check that out!

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
I'm thinking your carb isn't completely clean. Spray carb cleaner isn't aggressive enough to get a really dirty carb clean. If you can't get access to an ultrasonic cleaner, buy a can of Berryman Chem Dip and soak only the metal parts (no rubber or plastic) for 4-7 days. The longer the better. Then rinse with water and blow out every orifice with high pressure compressed air. The rubber diaphragm and accelerator pump don't go in the Chem Dip, and neither do the carb drain screw and air/fuel screw (#5) O-rings. There is a small washer and the O-ring under it in the tube the air/fuel screw goes into. I find a crochet hook is handy for fishing them out of the tube. The part that can be installed backwards is the needle jet, #2 (above #22) in the diagram below. It doesn't always come out when cleaning the carb, but if it does, the concave end goes in first, facing the needle. 1986 Honda CMX250C A CARBURETOR | Cheap Cycle Parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts