Honda Rebel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
Replace the sprockets at the same time as the chain. JT sprockets are good.
Make sure that the wheel is straight. The adjustment should measure the same on both back adjustment rods.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hi all! I just relaxed this weekend. Read a lot in the words, fishing, and did a couple paintings. I finally fixed the linkage tonight and the headlight. The bike is riding great again!!!

White Wood Freezing Event Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Tire Technology Bumper Electric blue

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wood Religious item Jewellery Bicycle part Metal

Amber Gas Tints and shades Circle Kitchen utensil

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I have looked at JT Sprockets. I didn't order yet because I've been praying about it. I have some tools and Im not sure if I should invest in more tools since I live in a Transitional Housing. It may be a bigger job than what I should be doing here. Maybe I should just take it to a shop. Idk. Praying like I said but I'm losing day light. I don't even know if I will drive it during the winter. I would just take the bus or jog to work and back. Idk if I should invest into tools either. I kind of want to leave country for ministry. It's been a good bike and I have lots of memory with it. I drop it like hell many times.

I'm leaning towards just working in it. And I hate that. ♥

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
Glad to hear that the bike is again rideable. I do ride all year round here up in Ohio as long as there is no chance of ice on the roads. Caution & proper clothing are key. Prayer too!
As far as tools go, I put saddle bags on mine & the tools are kept in a bag there. It keeps the extra weight low & enough to fix almost anything that can happen while traveling. Harbor Freight tools are ok for this. Low cost & free replacement if/when they break.
The front gear is fast & easy to replace. The rear is more involved.
P. S. You've done very well with the few tools that you do have.

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
35 Posts
Ahmm...Uhh.. There is no such a thing... like having to much tools. ;)

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I bought:

-JT Sprockets and 525X1R chain.
-EBC front and rear brakes.
-new spark plugs
-air filter

For carbs, I'm just thinking gasket #1 from Honda and cleaning solution to clean the jets?

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Art

I think I need a jack going to order one.

Do I need special tool for the chain to line up and put it together? It sound stupid and it probably is.

Something to oil/gease the new chain?

I feel like changing the oil too. Is there an oil filter on the motorcycle?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I was reading on fuel filter and from reading adding an online fiter after the petcock is good insurance.

If I wanted to change the filter/strainer it's #5 and #8? Just wondering. I might just add one.

Parallel Font Rectangle Slope Diagram

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
"Do I need special tool for the chain to line up and put it together? It sound stupid and it probably is.

Something to oil/gease the new chain?

I feel like changing the oil too. Is there an oil filter on the motorcycle?

I was reading on fuel filter and from reading adding an online fiter after the petcock is good insurance.

If I wanted to change the filter/strainer it's #5 and #8? Just wondering. I might just add one.

Maybe it's not a bad idea to just take it to a shop? "

If the rear wheel is aligned properly, the chain will be too. I count the number of threads on the chain adjusters, which are on both ends of the swingarm, making sure they are the same. There should be about 3/4" of deflection in the middle of the chain. Too tight, and the chain wears rapidly, too little and it could come off the sprocket and lock the rear wheel at speed. Be careful when tightening the second, smaller jam nut on the adjusters. Just snug is ideal. Too much and the bolt can snap. Get a chain with a master link clip. When installed properly, I've never known of one to fail. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do it correctly.

I like a wax based spray chain lubricant. Some forum members prefer gear oil, but it tends to sling off the chain more than the sprays. After the initial chain lubrication, clean the chain thoroughly and reapply lubricant every 500 miles.

The 450 has an oil filter. It's part #5 in this diagram: 1987 Honda CMX450C A LOWER CRANKCASE | Cheap Cycle Parts

There is a nylon tube, number 5, that serves as a filter, but these have been known to come off, so adding an in line filter is a good idea IMO. There is a sediment bowl #9, on the bottom of the petcock. If the carb is getting sufficient fuel, and you have an inline filter, I wouldn't bother taking the petcock apart until there's a problem.

All these things can be done by anyone with some mechanical skills at a fraction of what a shop will charge.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know that my '85' 250 petcock came with a strainer screen inside of it. Yours may have a screen as well. Many do not have the screen. It is a simple thing to clean if you have one. Just loosen the bottom bowl. Any crud should have fallen to the bottom. The screen is a very fine mesh. Not sure of the grain.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Thank you for the help.

I feel confidence. I ordered a Honda Repair Manual too.

Got the motorcycle jack on order. I think I need to tighten the chain. I've put 1200-1400 miles on it. This weekend I will readjust the chain and out some wax in to just gease it.

Going to wait for the rear brakes and then do it all.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I came back from community service and went cruising (I cruise everyday). I was thinking about the chain. Here is the pic. Yeah I should change it before winter. It will also get to know the bike more. I ♥ these 450s. I wouldn't mind trying a 250 or 250 virago but idk if I would like it as the 450.

Yeah its rusty. 😁

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Door Bicycle part Vehicle brake

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
35 Posts
It needs a good greasing for shure.. especially if you ride every day.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
If I haven't mentioned it before, get a good quality chain. All the good brands I know (DID, RK, EK) are made in Japan. I've only needed to re-adjust a chain once with these brands and get around 25,000 miles out of a chain.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I order JT Sprockets front and rear with their chain already. Its fine. I'll learn to check chain and maintain it. I can always change later once I learn how to work on the drive chain and sprockets.

You did mention them iirc. 😁

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I adjusted the chain. There was a lot of slack/play. Going to oil it when the stuff get here. Then change the drive chain when time permit with the rear brakes.

Getting the little bits and pieces ordered for the carbs, oil filter, and oil.

I took these pictures today. I'm moving a little slower working on the bike.

Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Sky

Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant Tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I adjusted the chain. There was a lot of slack/play. Going to oil it when the stuff get here. Then change the drive chain when time permit with the rear brakes.
If I may, I highly recommend you replace the drive chain at the same time you replace the sprockets. You should not put an old chain on new sprockets nor a new chain on old sprockets. Treat them as one, I always do. Once done, with proper cleaning, adjustment and maintenance, they will both last for many years to come. It ranks high for me as one of the best investments you can make for your motorcycle.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts