Honda Rebel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes.

I got the bike straight again. Retighten the clutch control and cable.

Got to get a new head light. It way too high due to the damages to safely drive at night.

Need to straighten out the linkage with a hammer tomorrow. No hammer.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Wood Automotive lighting Floor

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

Drinkware Musical instrument Automotive lighting Stemware Amber

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Street light

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
I agree that a professionally trained individual would be a better rider. I was self-taught.
Of course growing up I was always the cautious one, the one that urged people to look out for dangerous situations, & the voice of reason with my 4 brothers & 4 sisters.
In my 50 plus years of riding crashing once was bad enough. And no, I never took the course myself, though I've contemplated it many times.
"Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser" Prov 9:9a
I should schedule myself for the course.
I got my first Rebel in June, and signed up for a course. Earliest opening was October. I rode it regularly before the course, and taught myself a number of bad habits that it took a very long time to break. Several forum members who rode before classes were even offered, took the MSF Basic Rider Course. All of them said they learned things in the course they hadn't known. I think you'd benefit from the course. If you haven't come across them, David Hough's books, Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling are a treasure trove of great information. Years after first reading Proficient Motorcycling, I'm still gleaning "new" information from it.

Reactions: ChicagoMetriX

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
Forks still look straight! After loosening the bars & getting the rubber mounts out, you may be able to just reassemble it straight again. That's been done before with these. However, any damaged rubber should be replaced. It's likely being as old as ours are, that you'll have to replace all the rubber on the bike soon anyway.
P.S. Yes FC I'm still planning on the course. Thanks. LIFE is a gift we should do all that we can to protect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you both^.

Yeah I was thinking it might need a carb rebuilt because at one point must had been sitting.

Thank you for the diagrams too. I'll get a multimeter and check.

This is a great start!

Also, if it's been sitting forever, the insides of the gas tank could be all gunky and need a good rinse out. (They sell stuff for that.) Which also means your fuel filter is probably grungy and needs a replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seeing the photo of your disconnected accumulator.

Disconnecting is: minus first (-) !.
Disconnecting plus (+) first can lead to desaster. Like burning your bike entirely down the moment the plus cable, accidentally, contacts ground (frame)
What? and how is that? I agree with disconnecting the negative cable first but not because letting the positive cable touch the frame would cause any problem. It would do absolutely nothing if the motor isn't running.

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
35 Posts
..best ask your physics teacher !

·
Super Moderator
4,206 Posts
What? and how is that? I agree with disconnecting the negative cable first but not because letting the positive cable touch the frame would cause any problem. It would do absolutely nothing if the motor isn't running.
the battery stores energy while the engine is running or not - you might be "shocked" to find out what happens when you short out a battery

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
There will be sparks, and possibly smoke. Many of us have learned that "letting the smoke out" is not a good thing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ha, Ha Ha, letting the positive battery cabled touch the frame when disconnected from the battery isn't the same as shorting across the battery. There's no power on the positive cable or the frame once it's DISCONNECTED. Without the motor running there's no power anywhere except the battery. If anyone thinks differently you need to go back through that part of the course. Even shorting across the battery will cause sparks, burn you, or at worse explode the battery in your face, but probably will not burn the MC down. Of course if you're referring to contacting the frame with a wrench while you're disconnecting the cable, then yes, I guess we all agree, and that is the whole reason for disconnecting the negative cable first.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Well I hooked things up wrong on my tractor, and not only were there sparks, there was smoke too. The smoke was probably from the ignition, as after that I had to use a screwdriver on the starter posts to turn the engine over.

·
Super Moderator
4,206 Posts
once you let the smoke out you can't get it to go back in

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
35 Posts
...about plus and minus...there are a things to know.. like the difference between technical and physical directions of DC currents in akkumulators... so believe it or not.. minus in reality, is the real plus.
miracles over miracles !

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
...about plus and minus...there are a things to know.. like the difference between technical and physical directions of DC currents in akkumulators... so believe it or not.. minus in reality, is the real plus.
miracles over miracles !
early in my career worked on many foreign vehicles where I learned current travels from negative to positive while voltage travels from positive to negative..
as a simple example:
US vehicles place switch on positive side of a fan motor while most if not all foreign vehicles place the switch on negative side of fan as a safety measure..

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
Chemistry teaches us that electrons are (-) charged. And yes electrons do flow towards a less negative charge, so.... Negative to positive is correct.
POSITRONS HOWEVER......... 😆 !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure if you've solved the issue with your bike. Sorry if this has been said, I didn't find it.
Anyway, everyone has been giving good advice. I love this community ❤
Okay, One of the other things to look at is the FUEL FILTER ( I like the clear ones) also the fuel lines from the tank to carbs. The other thing is your gas tank, if it's less than half tank, you have to switch your petcock to RESERVE, (something about gravity). Also, make sure you empty the PUKE TUBE. IMO, Those are the easiest things to check first, before getting to more advanced tasks.
I hope I didn't waste your time. And I hope this helped.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure if you've solved the issue with your bike. Sorry if this has been said, I didn't find it.
Anyway, everyone has been giving good advice. I love this community ❤
Okay, One of the other things to look at is the FUEL FILTER ( I like the clear ones) also the fuel lines from the tank to carbs. The other thing is your gas tank, if it's less than half tank, you have to switch your petcock to RESERVE, (something about gravity). Also, make sure you empty the PUKE TUBE. IMO, Those are the easiest things to check first, before getting to more advanced tasks.
I hope I didn't waste your time. And I hope this helped.
See page 2 #24-31, the original problem was solved, but, immediately & quite sadly, several new ones suddenly occurred.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
All advise is welcomed.

I got the electrical fixed. I've been riding the bike everyday waiting for parts to come in to fix it up.

I'm actually moving into chain and carb cleaning/rebuilt.

So..... Here is my thoughts.

I'm going to clean, wax the chain, and adjust it. I put 1k miles already and it's chattering. I noticed a chattering. I'm thinking chain. So... I'm going to order and plan a weekend to work on it all, carb, chain, and adjusting the chain again. Is there a rebuilt kit for the carb or is this wishful thinking? Anything I should have on hand before I start? I think I have all the tools. If not I can ride the bus to get tools as long as its nothing special. I'm going to invest in a motorcycle jack. I feel... And I could be wrong, like I'm in riding for the long run so I'm going to learn and invest in tools. It's good meditation for the Words too, both working on and riding.

Overall I just want the bike oem as possible but running well and being a responsible rider. ❤

Thank you.😁

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'm wondering. I like the storage space/box but it's plastic. Does anyone make a metal or aluminum aftermarket one? 😁

41 - 60 of 83 Posts