Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Swapping batteries to charge. I don't care of I have to do it daily until I get it sorted out.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Nut

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport Gas Vehicle

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm going order stuff to gease the chain and also clean the carbs. I'm assuming there isn't any special tools I need that would stop me from not finishing or putting the carbs together once I start? Thank you.

The battery thing, idk. I need more time to think. I don't know what to do. Order a multimeter for now.

Chino

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
if your bike is basically stock and no one has messed with electrical system, the only way I know of to have voltage loss is through bad diode in voltage regulator/rectifier when ignition switch off.. which would mean volt regulator is bad..

A way to confirm would be to disconnect the regulator 4 prong connector that has the Red, Black, Green wires when you don't plan on ridding..

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've been thinking... The only thing I switch out is the controls which you have the clutch and brake lights. The brake thing is always in so the brake light is always on bright like hitting the brake. Even when parked or driving.
Bumper Trigger Machine gun Automotive exterior Shooting

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
If the brake light is always on, that's exactly the same as having no brake light at all. Actually it's worse, it's like crying wolf, wolf, and people get so used to it being on, they run right in your back end.
Also the brake light is one of your higher power draw fixtures on the motorcycle. You might have actually just trouble shot your problem.
The brake light with the marker on at the same time will draw between 2.6 and 2.8 amps constantly.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I swap back to the original one. The one that came from the aftermarket one is stuck.

Original one.
Trigger Thumb Bumper Machine gun Gun accessory

Aftermarket one. Stuck always making contact.
Rectangle Electric blue Circuit component Composite material Fashion accessory

It's progress? 😁

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to top off the electrolyte level in the battery.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
Rebel brake switch is still available at the dealership. It's not very expensive at all. I got my last one for less than $15. Sorry, I can't remember the exact amount.
Even my 71 CB350 switch was still available.
Oops! I forgot we're talking about a 450. Still I'd expect them to have one.

·
Registered
740 Posts
To give you an idea of how much (32W) 2.6-2.8amps is, the alternator puts out about (190W @ 1500rpm) 15 amps at its peak output. The total wattage used to just run the bike is around 130W, leaving less than 60W to charge the battery at peak output. Lower rpms means lower output, so the 32W draw could drain the battery while you drive.
(All numbers are approximate)

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah I fixed it. The bike runs full power again. But... I went too quick and drop the bike hard it skid off road.

Now another project.

Now it feels the top piece that hold the handle bar and handle bar is off like a poor alignment.
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle

The linkage is bent.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

But I'm thankful. God I feel like I am blessed.
Hand Kitchen sink Automotive tire Sink Finger

I'll start a new thread. Going to clean up and do some chores and think about it. Another project now.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Oh dear! We should always be more concerned about how fast we can stop (ie: CRASH!), not how fast we can go!
Are you going to be ok?

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Yeah I fixed it. The bike runs full power again. But... I went too quick and drop the bike hard it skid off road.

Now another project.

Now it feels the top piece that hold the handle bar and handle bar is off like a poor alignment.
You may have simply tweaked the handlebars. See this diagram: 1986 Honda CMX450C A HANDLEBAR | Cheap Cycle Parts

Part numbers 17 and 19 fit through rubber grommets, 14. Loosening or removing the nuts, 27 may allow you to realign things. Do not over tighten the nuts, doing so will reduce the vibration dampening of the grommets.

Have you taken a basic rider course? Best way to learn the fundamentals of riding.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I crashed my 250 a few years ago I tweaked my handlebars too. Like FC says you can probably straighten them out very easily .
You may have a collapsed lung and not even know it. Be cautious. I had a collapsed lung & thought I was fine.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah I'm ok. It was my fault. I was just happy the bike rode strong again I went speed happy. I miss riding already. I have to be more responsible.

No I need to take the course. Let me get myself together and bike running striaght again. Starting new job so give me time.

I'll pray for insight too.

😁

Green Rectangle Plant Wood Paint

Rectangle Wood Output device Plant Gadget

Finger Gesture Thumb Wrist Wood

·
Registered
740 Posts
So, new damage aside, the brake switch seems too have been the culprit with the previous problems?

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Most rider courses have their own bikes for riders to learn on, so you don't need to have the 450 ready to ride to take the course. Riders that are self taught or taught by a friend or relative have more accidents, and their accidents tend to be more serious than professionally trained riders. As you have learned the hard way, inexperienced, untrained rider + too much speed is a recipe for disaster. You'd be better off parking the Rebel until you take the course and learn how to ride safely.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree that a professionally trained individual would be a better rider. I was self-taught.
Of course growing up I was always the cautious one, the one that urged people to look out for dangerous situations, & the voice of reason with my 4 brothers & 4 sisters.
In my 50 plus years of riding crashing once was bad enough. And no, I never took the course myself, though I've contemplated it many times.
"Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser" Prov 9:9a
I should schedule myself for the course.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, one problem fixed, more to come.🙂

21 - 40 of 83 Posts