Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a 1986 rebel 250 as a project bike for $350. There is definitely a lot of work that still needs to be done to it but interestingly enough the bike came with a working kickstarter and no ignition switches (currently the only way to start the bike is to kickstart it). When I bought the bike it was wired to run and drive but had no lights on it. My question is can I run all the necessary lights to make the bike legal straight off the regulator with no battery? I don't see why I couldn't but I wanted to get some input from some of yall to see if it was even possible.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
No,, the electrical system needs battery or you may burn up regulator/rectifier..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So run the regulator to a battery then the battery to the switches and lights? Would I have to run a 12 volt battery or can I get something smaller? Any battery recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a 1986 1st generation. Kickstarter is a bonus!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
1986 volt regulator has 2 positive connections (Black & Red circuits) a Ground (Green) and 3 Yellow connections to the stator..
regulator measures voltage on black circuit, raising the voltage output on Red circuit

2nd gen 96 up regulator has 1 positive and ground circuit with the customary 3 Yellow stator connectors..

12v systems tend to require 12v batteries..
a battery is like a shock absorber it sucks up high volt/amp output when engine revs high and supplies current and proper system voltage when rpm is low..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts