Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy here.. I have a rebel I let sit to long.. garaged. It was running poorly on one cylinder till warmed up when I stored it so I replaced the CDI, plugs, checked coils, compression and fuel system. All good, but irrelevant cause it wont turn over when I press the starter button. It will however turn over fine when I jump across the solenoid terminals.
I replaced the solenoid.. same. No click, nothing.. tho the lights dim a bit.
I've checked connections, fuses, terminals over and over. tried with kickstand up, clutch in, and in neutral.
battery is new and putting out 12v+
I tried to figure how to test the starter button but couldnt see how to do that w/o destroying it. It looked ok when i took stuff apart.. but theres like 4 wires going to it? I cant find an accurate wiring diagram..
I have 3 other older bikes and usually pretty good at figuring stuff out. I am really impressed with the engineering of this bike.. but I'm stumped!

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
If the lights come on we can rule out the ignition switch. The next switch in line would be the start switch, which throws power to the starter relay.

Since your bike is older, there may be some corrosion in the connections. I would follow the wire from the start switch to the relay and unplug all plugs/connections. Before plugging them back together, put some dielectric grease into the plug to prevent further corrosion. I would also follow the wire from the start relay to the clutch switch and make sure all those connections are made. If the neutral switch is making (the dash lights up), then a connection closer to the start relay is not connecting.

·
Super Moderator
29,460 Posts
In addition to what Guba said, if there is visible corrosion on any connectors, hit them lightly with some fine sandpaper or steel wool to remove it before greasing and reconnecting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Guys.. went thru checked and cleaned connections, didnt work.. then checked continuity on all the relevant wires, all good.. checked switchs.. good.. put it all back together and it works. Jus dont know why : ) That would make me nervous if I was goin on a road trip. Oh well...

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Sounds like a case of corroded connections...somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts