Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I put a 2007 rebel 250 on my 86 rebel frame as my previous engine had several issues. All I had to do was swap the intake manifold from the 86 engine and keep the motor mount from the top of the engine. After that it was plug and play did a engine swap in about 4 hours make sure to keep you first gen carb if that’s the setup you have. If not you will need a second gen carb and second gen manifold. All wiring is the same for both engines and so on. Hope this helps you
No issues with the starter/relay or anything? I know Gen 2 has the fuse or whatever on the starter and Gen 1 has it in the fuse box??

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,736 Posts
swapping engines the starter relay doesn't come into play.. The gen 2 Main 20A blade fuse is situated on top of starter relay which is situated next to 2 fuse, fuse block..
Fixture Material property Gas Font Motor vehicle

In both generations positive battery cable connects to starter relay B terminal.. Starter motor cable which runs under engine than up to starter relay M terminal..

1st gen runs a wire from starter relay B terminal to Main 15A glass tube fuse in 3 fuse, fuse block
Automotive lighting Headlamp Gas Engineering Tool

Reactions: slingshot

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,736 Posts
there are clips to hold starter cable in place under left side of engine than crossing to right side and up to starter relay.. you will have to observe their placement by marks left on used cable.
likely you will have to create clips from what is available.
failure to secure cable can lead to catastrophic short should vibration chafe off cable insulation..
this shows one on left side of 1st gen Rebel.. there are slight differences in placement between generations on right side of bike.
Automotive fuel system Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

Honda is very specific on how wiring should be secured
Font Parallel Tool Document Triangle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Some pics of the parts the seller (of the frame I bought) has set aside for me to buy a little at a time. Wheels look pretty good too. Odometer says like 6xxx miles 👍

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Crankset Vehicle Bicycle tire
Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle wheel Wheel
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Gauge Motor vehicle Watch Measuring instrument Analog watch

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,112 Posts
There's a guy in Staten Island NY that has an 87 Parts Rebel for $100 on Facebook Marketplace. Those parts will all bolt directly onto yours w/o modifications.
He says the engine block is cracked though (can't be sure until seen). But the rest of the parts should all be fine.
That should be less than 2 hours from you.

Reactions: Markrkolb

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
75 Posts
No issues with the starter/relay or anything? I know Gen 2 has the fuse or whatever on the starter and Gen 1 has it in the fuse box??
No none at all everything plugged right in put the correct amount of oil In and turned the key and fired right up.

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
Better late than never...

2nd generation pegs will not fit without modifications.
Not to mention the Gen-1 frame lacks a place to mount the separate Gen-2 kickstand (Gen-1 peg assembly has the kickstand on it, Gen-2 peg assembly & kickstand are separate assemblies). Yet more modifications required. ;)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts