Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an older post that said any CMX250 engine from any yearwould fit my 85 frame. One said to use the "head steady" mount from the donor engine also, someone said its not really needed.

Also read about foot pegs and such may need swapping also.

Can anyone confirm what if I grab say a Gen 2 engine and put it into my 250?

Its the only part the seller of the frame doesn't have as it had a warped head and screwed up crank.

What other parts for the swap would I need?

Thinking new carb with pod filter and very basic electric for lighting.

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
The first generation- like yours- has a different cylinder head than a second generation rebel 250. Because of that the engine mount on the top/head is different between generations. People have swapped engines between generations and omitted the upper engine mount. Another possibility is to find an earlier 234cc engine from a cm250. I have not heard if it is an easy swap but the engines sure look identical to me. Good luck with your search and please post your findings!

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
2nd generation pegs will not fit without modifications. From all that I've heard & seen, pod filters aren't really that good of an idea on these machines, due to how the crankcase is vented.

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
75 Posts
I put a 2007 rebel 250 on my 86 rebel frame as my previous engine had several issues. All I had to do was swap the intake manifold from the 86 engine and keep the motor mount from the top of the engine. After that it was plug and play did a engine swap in about 4 hours make sure to keep you first gen carb if that’s the setup you have. If not you will need a second gen carb and second gen manifold. All wiring is the same for both engines and so on. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2nd generation pegs will not fit without modifications. From all that I've heard & seen, pod filters aren't really that good of an idea on these machines, due to how the crankcase is vented.
I have seen where some have shoved the crankcase hose into the end of the pod filter or added a small breather sized filter.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
Not sure what purpose that hose provides. The original filter set up had a hose but the OEM filter was a lot less free breathing than that pod filter.

·
Super Moderator
31,333 Posts
I have seen where some have shoved the crankcase hose into the end of the pod filter or added a small breather sized filter.
The problem with a crankcase breather hose filter is it collects goo on the inside where it can't be seen. If it plugs up, which is inevitable if it isn't cleaned regularly, the resulting pressure blows out the left side oil seal, and there goes the engine oil.

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
Speaking from experience, a mismatched head and motor mount is much more of a chore than using a matching set. Yes, you can do it. No, I'd prefer the matched pair next time around. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a side note the seller agreed to $150 for both front and rear wheels with tires and $90 for entire triple tree with forks today. The seller is really a nice guy. So about $450 for a roller with title 👍 Frame with swing arm and other "bits" on the way. 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I put up a WTB post in the bottom forum section. But if anyone has the left front peg/pivot let me know for my 85 frame up build. I have the right and the left controls. But no left peg/pivot mount

50615-KR3-920 or 50605-KR3-920 I think

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Finding a parts bike is really the way to go. You can get one for less than $200 which includes the carburetor the engine and most auxiliary parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finding a parts bike is really the way to go. You can get one for less than $200 which includes the carburetor the engine and most auxiliary parts.
Here in NJ that is kinda rough. And I dont own a trailer. I got all the parts sorted. Just getting down to the small key pieces.

Not wanting to rebuild engines (again) at this time. Goal is spring for this to be done 👍
Impatience has a price unfortunately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Granted if I had known about Gen 1/2 before I bought the frame that may have made life easier. LoL

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I saw somebody On Facebook marketplace about 3 days ago in New York State, with a 1st Gen 250 that was running for $250. It was 8 hours away from me so I didn't go.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
These are the assemblies part numbers that will work..
50615-KR3-000, 50615-KR3-770, 50615-KR3-920

does not include side stand arm/spring or shift lever/rod
Left side is harder to find because pedal pivot shaft is known to break off, replacement was easier than repair
Bicycle part Grass Nickel Gas Auto part

pivot pin is center drilled and tapped for bolt and washer that holds shift lever in place..
the bolt or washer is not shown on part fiche diagrams.
Nickel Artifact Metal Household hardware Fashion accessory

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
I'm wrong the 6mm pivot shaft bolt and washer is listed on Pedal parts fiche page.
18 WASHER, SPECIAL (6.5MM)
90408-642-750
19 BOLT, HEX. (6X20)
92000-06020, 92101-06020-0A

Font Parallel Rectangle Slope Auto part

Reactions: slingshot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Managed to land a LEFT mount/peg assembly off EB that had no picture and said "85 86 87 Shift pedal with mount foot peg". So I asked for pic and got just now. Snapped it up quick with peg and shift linkage and kick stand for $38 shipped. 👍

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
i already looked at her other items - just in case - you got the deal of 2022 !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts