Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking the frame is almost the same for all the years. And with scarcity of the pretty chrome covers.

Would an older Gen 1 (85-87) Rebel 250 take a later Gen 2 battery box and cover setup? And the opposite side air box cover?

I understand the battery boxes are different and the fuse boxes slightly. I would use my Gen 1 fuse box 馃憤 and just adapt to mount in the "area" if it didnt bolt right up.
Keep in mind this is a frame up build so I really am not reverse engineering.
I could use this box and the BCS cover and his opposite flat air cover plate.

I do plan on a pod filter and use the PVC tube plumbed in with a PVC adapter like some Ytube guy did recently.

Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Composite material

Rectangle Gas Aluminium Metal Fashion accessory

Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
That sounds like a good idea but I have not done it. I hope someone on the site has. Please post the results. This is great information for the forum 馃榾

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Anything can be made to fit. There will be some engineering involved in making the proposed modifications. The 1st Gen fuse box will fit the 1st Gen frame. The covers will require some calculation to make them fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything can be made to fit. There will be some engineering involved in making the proposed modifications. The 1st Gen fuse box will fit the 1st Gen frame. The covers will require some calculation to make them fit.
I was thinking of kinda chopping the airbox to allow the mounting points to be used on it for the new cover plate. Example is 05 airbox

Gas Font Auto part Bumper Metal

Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
I don鈥檛 see why that won鈥檛 work. Too bad to lose the pretty chrome covers but they鈥檙e Getting hard to find. Please post your results :)

Super Moderator
The fabricated metal cover(s) could be chromed.

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Chromed, or at least powder coated they would look just about the same.

Premium Member
Upgrade? IMO that isn't. But, that is an opinion.

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
Many times I've found fuse blocks stuffed with wrong length glass tube fuse..
Typically one that is too long
Automotive lighting Font Rectangle Auto part Cable

spring fuse holder ends are more susceptible to corroding or bending, loosening the connection..
I use auto resetting breakers when adding or updating electrical systems but they are more expensive.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part

Premium Member
The left side/air cleaner is a direct fit to the airbox but you'll have to either weld a new tab or fasten a bracket to the existing tab to mount the other cover.

The battery side will take more serious fabrication work and welding. as they are completely different arrangements. Even the Chinese-clone 96+ covers won't fit a Yankee 96 bike much less a Gen-1 model.

Reactions: slingshot
1 - 12 of 12 Posts