Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm new to the bike scene and trying to get this rebel back on the road, Little back story to help my situation... bought a 85 250 rebel, it hasn't ran in 2 years before I picked it up..
when I got it the bike didnt have keys or a carburetor or stock air box .. so I finally got a key made and bought a OEM Used carb NO LUCK on stock airbox( I'm going to build a Bobber and going to get a pod like filter to clean up the look...with that being said I bought a kit off eBay to try and clean and replace jets..

Installed carb with new kit, bike turned over but really rough throttle response i seem to be losing it either in the 20%-80% or the 80%-WOT not 100% (no filter at all at the moment) I was able to get one a week after and just mounted against the carb.. I changed the oil and spark plugs Again it had been sitting for 2 years so when I pulled the plugs they were super black. So i was reading a little through the forums and someone brought up a question and I realized mine was the same way.. Under the Gas tank there is a line and someone capped it off.. AND in someone's response to the guy he said it cant be like that because it might not be letting enough fuel to fill up the float bowl.. Is this true?

So with that being said I need help/answers because I'm trying to get this bike but to running and I'm lost at the moment.. Vacuum diagram would be nice and if someone happens to have a manual they can share with me would be much appreciated as well.

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
I don't have a first generation Rebel, but suspect a PO of your bike capped off the tank overflow tube (assuming there is one). Someone with a first generation feel free to clarify. First generation Rebels had an unvented tank and vented gas cap. Second generation is just the reverse. If there is no overflow tube on first generation bikes, it would appear that you may have a second generation tank with the vent tube capped off.

If the tank isn't being vented, either through the cap or vent tube, the engine would still run for quite a while until a vacuum developed. Removing the cap would ensure the tank is vented, regardless of which generation tank is on the bike. The fact that it doesn't run well makes me think the carb is dirty. Putting a rebuild kit in a dirty carb won't fix things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
so I'm new to the bike scene and trying to get this rebel back on the road, Little back story to help my situation... bought a 85 250 rebel, it hasn't ran in 2 years before I picked it up..
when I got it the bike didnt have keys or a carburetor or stock air box .. so I finally got a key made and bought a OEM Used carb NO LUCK on stock airbox( I'm going to build a Bobber and going to get a pod like filter to clean up the look...with that being said I bought a kit off eBay to try and clean and replace jets..

Installed carb with new kit, bike turned over but really rough throttle response i seem to be losing it either in the 20%-80% or the 80%-WOT not 100% (no filter at all at the moment) I was able to get one a week after and just mounted against the carb.. I changed the oil and spark plugs Again it had been sitting for 2 years so when I pulled the plugs they were super black. So i was reading a little through the forums and someone brought up a question and I realized mine was the same way.. Under the Gas tank there is a line and someone capped it off.. AND in someone's response to the guy he said it cant be like that because it might not be letting enough fuel to fill up the float bowl.. Is this true?

So with that being said I need help/answers because I'm trying to get this bike but to running and I'm lost at the moment.. Vacuum diagram would be nice and if someone happens to have a manual they can share with me would be much appreciated as well.
Official 1985 Shop Manual diagrams ...
In 1985 there was only a fuel tank vent line on the California Rebels. I've attached a photo of the Evaporative Emission Control System and hoses routing for Cali model here. If Non-Cali can ignore that first diagram.

No overflow tube on the 1985 Non-Cali.
OP mentioned the airbox was missing, so I've also included the stock PCV system with crankcase and tie-in to the air filter and related drain tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,627 Posts
some of us 1st gen rebel owners have/had tank vent connected to carbon evap canister..

California emissions canister was purged via pcv valve.. you can plug those two vacuum lines if they exist on your carburetor..

Have circled PCV vacuum ports

does take a bit of ridding for vacuum buildup to stop fuel flowing into carb bowl..

Reactions: Codycip3

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,627 Posts
Per your "I have a 85 and i have a little cap that caps off under my gas tank, is that suppose to be a vacuum line, and if so can i use this diagram to run my lines the same?" question..
That's a tank vent, should be open to atmosphere if not connected to Charcoal Canister..

Peruse CMX250C - Google Drive
you will find information on maintaining your bike as well as additional carburation manuals..

Many find after 3 to 5 cleanings or a week long soak their carburation problems go away unless they use an ultrasonic cleaner which seems to clean properly in a hour or less..

Reactions: Codycip3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts