Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a full build from frame up 1985 250 model.

Will also probably with a Gen 2 engine after I get the bike back to rolling later in spring. (Yes I know engine top mount).

I was thinking Gen 2 for ease of getting parts like CDI and such vs an older Gen 1 harness and doing adapters or mods later on.

Thoughts and tips?

I know kickstand switch is one needed item for Gen 2.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
depends on what other 85 parts you have to work with..
off the top of my head, 2nd gen ignition switch, fuse block, regulator/rectifier, starter relay, CDI, are different. There are two neutral switch diode assemblies where as the 1st gen only has one diode block/assembly..
Sure you can adapt 2nd gen harness..

starting with frame only, one of the hardest parts to find will be left foot peg (step) and associated shifter pedal/side stand as 2nd gen left or right pegs arn't compatible with 1st gen frame..
imho you will spend far more than what you would for a running Rebel..

Reactions: Markrkolb

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
There was someone on here a few months ago looking for a frame, his was bent…if you could get together with someone like that- or find a crashed bike like Emil did. I agree with SK buying stuff piecemeal could quickly exceed the value of the bike. I know for many of us the rebel is just a fun hobby- but it’s nice to be able to sell for a small profit when the time comes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Seller of the frame has most parts. Have not asked about the harness yet. Working on negotiating the "roller" parts first. Just got title yesterday. Frame w/swingarm and shocks, & fender struts are due Monday 👍

I have bobber seat with"tray" from Amzn coming (had a gift card). Was leaning toward those bigger 3.x gallon tanks and heard I should coat it inside first

Next up from seller are in this order:
Triple tree/forks
Wheels (still have tires on)

Plastics
Fenders
Wiring

Not super concerned about lights as ai have new LED headlight and housing here already and selected some small signals from Amzn on my "wishlist".

Any other things I should think to ask?

·
Premium Member
2003 rebel 2004 sportster
196 Posts
Seller of the frame has most parts. Have not asked about the harness yet. Working on negotiating the "roller" parts first. Just got title yesterday. Frame w/swingarm and shocks are due Monday 👍

Triple tree/forks
Wheels
Thanks for posting- this is all great intel for the site. I will be very interested in the outcome. Just for clarification- the first and second gen frames will take either engine as long as you have the corresponding upper mount??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting- this is all great intel for the site. I will be very interested in the outcome. Just for clarification- the first and second gen frames will take either engine as long as you have the corresponding upper mount??
Thats what I was told by a few others in another post. Upper front mount 👍 and try and retain your intake manifold and carb for plug n play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts