Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 cmx250
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Bike starts and runs, but has weak throttle. Left cylinder seems to not be firing. Has spark but not sure about compression. Could the valve seals be bad, causing it not to fire?

·
Registered
1985 cmx250
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice. I'll be doing a compression test this coming week and pulling carbs off and cleaning again. I've heard good things about chem dios and gonna give that a try. Hopefully it is a fuel issue but then again the bike sat for 10 plus years. Just hoping it's not the valve seals. Any recommendations on replacing them if need be as in will I need new gaskets for the head once removed or special tools.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Never replaced the valve seals on a Rebel engine, but you should be able to do so without pulling the head. You really need a service manual to do this. It will give step-by-step instructions along with pictures, provide torque values, etc.

The longer the disassembled carb soaks in Chem Dip, the more likely it will be completely clean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never replaced the valve seals on a Rebel engine, but you should be able to do so without pulling the head. You really need a service manual to do this. It will give step-by-step instructions along with pictures, provide torque values, etc.

The longer the disassembled carb soaks in Chem Dip, the more likely it will be completely clean.
I just replaced the valve seals on my 250 I had the head off for this and used an automotive valve spring compressor to remove the keepers and springs, the seals were relatively easy to replace. They have nothing to do with the compression issue they only seal against oil leaking down the valve guide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts