Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Do you ever get to fifth gear? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the bike "loosing power" when downshifting from fourth to third at 45 mph. The engine ought to be revving pretty high at that point. By loosing power do you mean the engine will die if you pull the clutch lever and ease off the throttle completely at that point?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you ever get to fifth gear? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the bike "loosing power" when downshifting from fourth to third at 45 mph. The engine ought to be revving pretty high at that point. By loosing power do you mean the engine will die if you pull the clutch lever and ease off the throttle completely at that point?
I post a video of me riding it tomorrow. basically with the clutch pulled in and pressing all the brakes in 4th gear, it dies when I downshift as in, I drop a gear and go to give it gas and its nothing. like picture this, going 45 mph in 4th, see red light, clutch in and brake, drop gear, rev engine, no response, roll into the stop, restart the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,729 Posts
It sounds like we're missing something that's happening at that time. The video might show us something we're not contemplating.

Is the choke/enricher circuit completely off/pushed away from you? Is it disconnected but stuck in the on position?
It almost sounds like it's dying because it has too much fuel to me. So giving it gas that's just going to make it worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It sounds like we're missing something that's happening at that time. The video might show us something we're not contemplating.

Is the choke/enricher circuit completely off/pushed away from you? Is it disconnected but stuck in the on position?
It almost sounds like it's dying because it has too much fuel to me. So giving it gas that's just going to make it worse.
choke is off. I almost never need to use the choke to start most days.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,729 Posts
Is it connected & working to the carb? I'm just trying a different tac. It still seems to be an overly rich condition. Did you ever pull the plugs when it stalled to inspect them?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,098 Posts
going 45 mph in 4th, see red light, clutch in and brake, drop gear, rev engine, no response, roll into the stop, restart the motorcycle.
something isn't right, you don't indicate you are releasing clutch after downshift to 3rd..
inertia of rolling bike in 3rd will spin engine faster than starter ever could thus engine shouldn't quit..

Same holds true in 2nd or 1st gear... Typically one would place transmission in 5th to push start the engine which becomes harder to impossible in lower gears unless you have speed and weight in your favor..

Reactions: rickybug

·
Registered
24 Posts
Engine dying while you’re attempting higher speeds means (I think) a fuel delivery issue or it’s pulling a vacuum leak at higher throttle settings.
Now I’m completely new to these bikes but do they have a microswitch somewhere that prevents it from being started in gear?
Is this engaging somehow when you’re downshifting from 4th gear?
A neutral start safety switch would be an electrical connection somewhere.
Like I said new to these bikes so I don’t even know if it’s even possible what I’m suggesting.
A slow death = fuel starvation or excessively rich
Sudden death = ignition

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Engine dying while you’re attempting higher speeds means (I think) a fuel delivery issue or it’s pulling a vacuum leak at higher throttle settings.
Now I’m completely new to these bikes but do they have a microswitch somewhere that prevents it from being started in gear?
Is this engaging somehow when you’re downshifting from 4th gear?
A neutral start safety switch would be an electrical connection somewhere.
Like I said new to these bikes so I don’t even know if it’s even possible what I’m suggesting.
A slow death = fuel starvation or excessively rich
Sudden death = ignition
Yes, there are safety switches that prevent the engine from being started 1. with the kickstand down if the bike isn't in neutral or 2. if the bike is in gear and the clutch lever not pulled in.

·
Registered
83 cm250c 71 ct70h 72cb350k 76cl360 79atc110 84atc125m 72dt125 74mx360 2000xvs650 75ke125 79kz650
3 Posts
I decided to chime in as my 1st post because I have the same bike that I bought a couple months ago for 100 dollars to be an around town cruiser. I've been riding and working on motorcycles for more than 50 years and Im making a very custom machine out of this one. The idle mixture and speed can be a little tricky on mine and I don't have any exhaust except the stock short pipes. I like mine to idle low 1300 is probably almost double what I like mine to idle because I keep it running like a watch and because I just like it that way. Anyway to your problem I don't know if this is it for sure but I have had this problem on more than 1 old motorcycle. Bits of metal and rust or whatever get stuck to the magnetic pick up coil. As you drive they move around and affect the way the pick up coil does it's business. They can change the idle the power at all rpms and even change the timing to different degrees continuesly. Check your pick up coil for debris on it

21 - 30 of 30 Posts