Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
float is the molded not adjustable type. but wont let fuel through with the bowl on. with the bowl off i can get fuel.

Non honda replacment the brand is K&L i believe.
Anyone have this issue before?
Solutions?

Super Moderator
sounds like the replacement float is not a good match

you can measure when the float cuts off flow by removing the carb from the bike and the bowl from the carb - watching the float as you turn the carb along the y-axis - when it stops you measure the distance between the gasket surface of the upper carb and the position of the float - you've got a millimeter to 1.5 of play there - not much - outside that 1.0 to 1.5 you've got either no gas or gas leaking all over the floor

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Has the old float in it. problem started with the new valve. Its been a pain in the butt. I didn't realize the action was that fine on this bike. That totally makes sense though. I ordered on needle valve and it was majorly late so i ordered a second from a another distributor. Same brand.
The first ordered came in 3 days after the second. Only 11 days late. haha.
I ground it down alittle and it seems to be mostly working but was Wondering it there where brands to watch for or what was up.
Bike isnt mine fixing for a lady at work and just didnt want to cobble it.

Super Moderator
ok sorry - i thought you were saying the float was a K&L not Honda or Keihin

tolerances being what they are it seems like hit or (mostlymiss) if you don't get the OEM parts

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
yeah my bad i prob wasn't super clean. ots the needle thats K&L
Next time I'll wait the extra time for Honda parts to come in. this is and has been a headache and a half.

Super Moderator
I compared an aftermarket needle to a stock one and discovered there was a tiny difference in length and taper of the needles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely a lesson learned here. I ended up taking one of the aftermarket needles and holding it against a grinding wheel with a pair of pliers and then slightly bending the lip to get it to sit right and open and close properly. I probably ground off right at a millimeter and bent it back up a quarter of a millimeter the tolerances are absolutely tiny. I'm much more used to having a small metal tab to bend LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
nope that was a fail...
carb didnt leak sitting on a mason jar with about 12 in line ran to it.
put it all back together.
started it.
20 seconds into idling the overflow starts pouring.......
Looks like another wait to order a genuine Honda part

Super Moderator
Might want to check the float valve seat and replace the valve itself. The rubber tip can develop a slight ring and harden too. The seat can be polished with a Q-tip dipped in polish.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I'do the polish but the valve is brand new.
Just went ahead and ordered a Honda float and Valve. just going to wait on them.
Sometimes you gotta spend the extra.
This rebel appears to need the real deal as pointed out by 01-7700 the reproductions are very hit and miss

Super Moderator
I've used the K&N kit valve and they work fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I orders a K&L off ebay. It was one of the first suggestions that matched the model.

Super Moderator
is K&L a knockoff on K&N or a typo?

Registered
Over on the twins site and now the vht twins site where all the cool kids are you hear stories about aftermarket float needles being too long or too short, causing one problem or another. Some have installed adjustable floats and had good success afterward.

I wonder if you could turn the end of one of these (too tall) float needles in a lathe to cut it's height down to stock height (effectively lengthening the end that attaches to the float but shortening the body) then simply add an appropriately sized tiny e-clip or 2 to take up the slack and reinstall with the plastic non-adjustable float?

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I dont have access to a lathe but a adjustable float would have been ideal for sire. waiting for my Honda replacements to come in currently

Super Moderator
is K&L a knockoff on K&N or a typo?
Neither. It's an old guy that can't remember K&N and wrote K&L. My typing isn't perfect, but my memory is shot. 馃檮

Reactions: 01-7700

Registered
float is the molded not adjustable type. but wont let fuel through with the bowl on. with the bowl off i can get fuel.

Non honda replacment the brand is K&L i believe.
Anyone have this issue before?
Solutions?
check length of needle in float valve,found some are longer than oem when using aftermarket rebuild kits

Registered
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited by Moderator)
waited for genuine Honda parts to come in.
new float and new valve.
still same issue. with the new float and the old using the new valve.....
This bike is a headache.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts