Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, ok this is something I've never seen before, and I have been able to repeat the event multiple times, so here goes.

97 Rebel, after it is started cold, there is about a 5 second delay from when I engage the blinker switch before the lights come on and start blinking.

After this happens, the lights blink with no delay on subsequent requests. All the lights are working including the indicator. I have cleaned the switch up nice, and it moves smoothly. The bike is stored in an attached garage, so no real exposure to elements.

This weird delay has happened on the first try for at least the last 5-6 rides. I keep the bike on a Battery Tender when not being ridden. It is an aftermarket battery but has not given me any issues. It was the previous owners purchase.

Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks, Ernie

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Sounds like the switch needs cleaning. Mine did the same, but only on the left side, until it was fixed. Be very careful taking the switch apart, as there are some really small springs that like to fly off to parts unknown. One member suggested taking it apart inside a clear plastic bag for that reason. Use a little dielectric grease on the cleaned contact points.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flite, yeah I know what you mean regarding the little parts. I did take the switch apart and clean it though. Got all the grime and contacts very nice with De-Oxit, then lubed with conductive grease, and the issue remains. The switch is buttery smooth at least. Maybe I'll open it again. Thought maybe a loose connection, so the last 2 times I engaged the switch while the bike was on it's stand to eliminate the variable of bumps while riding and it did the same thing. Thought whatever controls the blinking (a relay?) wasn't getting all the voltage necessary or some weird gremlin like that. I'll let you know next time I pull the switch again.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
sounds like the flasher relay may be at fault..
bit of moisture trapped caused my signals to be wonky until they quit working altogether..

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
28 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 85 Rebel. I replaced the flasher with a unit that flashes the same regardless of the load. No problems since.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked up this part, it is still available.

Where exactly is this relay located?

I'll try to clean the switch once more but will check out this relay as soon as I know where it is on the bike.

thanks everyone!

sounds like the flasher relay may be at fault..
bit of moisture trapped caused my signals to be wonky until they quit working altogether..

View attachment 110607

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
Location is left side, reach around behind the helmet lock..
rubber mount (17) slides onto tab to hold it into place..
I used a $6 replacement and electrical tape to lash it to helmet lock

any of these 2 pin flashers will work except mounting has to be improvised..
Eaton Bussmann: 232
Echlin: 582T
Grote: 44810
Hella: 87712
KD: 2590-001
LittleFuse: FLR232
Napa: EL12
Signal Stat: 250/262
Velvac: 091206

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you sir!

QUOTE="SoakedKarma, post: 1259080, member: 33457"]
Location is left side, reach around behind the helmet lock..
rubber mount (17) slides onto tab to hold it into place..
I used a $6 replacement and electrical tape to lash it to helmet lock

any of these 2 pin flashers will work except mounting has to be improvised..
Eaton Bussmann: 232
Echlin: 582T
Grote: 44810
Hella: 87712
KD: 2590-001
LittleFuse: FLR232
Napa: EL12
Signal Stat: 250/262
Velvac: 091206
[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
If you've already cleaned the switch, I'd suggest getting a replacement flasher unit before diving into the switch again. I'd pay a lot more than $6 just to not have to take the thing apart again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you've already cleaned the switch, I'd suggest getting a replacement flasher unit before diving into the switch again. I'd pay a lot more than $6 just to not have to take the thing apart again!

you make an excellent point!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts