Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I am contemplating doing the steering stem bearings as I have the bike apart to it for refinishing. I struggled to find a thread on this, so I am curious if anyone on here has done this before. Curious what special tools were used if so. I have the manual and it lists the honda tools but they're expensive and I dont want to shell out for something thats probably fine the way it is if thats the only way. Bike has 13k miles with no play in the stem assembled.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
If there is no play, then there is no reason to replace unless you want to. New grease is your friend here...

If you want to replace them, socket sets work good as bearing/seal pushers.

·
Super Moderator
3,563 Posts
It looks like the bearings are uncaged so I would recommend you clean the floor of your garage very well before attempting this - so you can find the balls after they fly all over. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of replacing the bearings because all thats left to strip to the frame is the steering stem, swingarm, and wiring and I have half the bike at powdercoating so I may end up getting the frame and swingarm done too. I am most concerned about removing the top nut on the stem for which the manual recommends this special tool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-07916-3710100-Steering-Stem-Headrace-Nut-Socket-Tool-HWT005/254233024389?hash=item3b31781785:g:5lEAAOSwp1lc44uB
$41 for a single use tool, thats the cheapest one and it comes all the way from the uk. I need to tighten the thing too when I reassemble so Im wondering what other tools I could use that arent one time use. I have a blind bearing puller I could probably use for removing the top bearing and a socket like guba said to drive them in. I have seen others cut the lower bearing off the stem with a rotary tool, but I have also seen them cut the stem shaft so also curious safer methods of doing this too. And yea Ill have to be careful taking apart that top race looks open...

·
Super Moderator
3,563 Posts
I would use a hammer and a brass drift to replace that tool.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I'm with 01-7700, or carefully cut down a socket of the correct diameter with a Dremel/rotary cutting tool.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I just added some pages from my 450 service manual about the R&R of the steering stem.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I use a large plumbers wrench to grip the top nut with a rag wrapped around the top nut, after I punch the locking washer tabs out of the way.
To remove the bearing races I have a long 1/2" brass drift to remove them.
This works for me but I am careful not to mess up the nut.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
For those that may not understand why a brass drift or punch is used, it won't mar the steel races if it slips.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this doesnt seem that difficult Ill try this weekend let yall know how it goes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the stem out today :) brass drift worked perfect, the nut was a lot looser than i was expecting. Now on the stem theres this collar on the bottom, does it need to be replaced with the bearings and if so it does how do I get it off? in addition to that one there looks to be two more on the frame, one on top and one on bottom. ill attach pics of them all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
The Honda manual recommends several special tools. The Clymer manual explains how to do it without the special tools. Remove the steering head races, which are pressed into place, by inserting either a hardwood dowel or brass punch into the tube and tapping the race out from the inside. Tap around the entire race so the tube is not damaged. To install the new race, place a wooden block, suitable size socket or piece of pipe on the race. Make sure the race is squarely seated in the headset race bore before tapping it into place. Tap it until it is flush with the steering head surface.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks! I got em out of the frame, they were a bit stubborn but came out ok. Now for the one on the stem itself, Ive heard of people cutting it off but Ive also heard of them cutting a little too far and nicking the stem which I dont want to do... is there any way I can do this without cutting?

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
Could you get a cold chisel under the race and lift it slightly, then use a brass punch to work it off? Maybe someone with more experience will have a better suggestion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts