Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy, so im trying to get the mac exhaust on my 450 and it just doesnt want to seal, ive taken this thing on and off probally 6 or 7 times, tried with and without the exhaust donuts (original pipes didnt have seals for some reason) and i havent even been close to getting it to seal. im making sure to tighten top and bottom equally and incrementally (tighten one then the other, then first more then second, etc.) someone please tell me what im doing wrong before i scratch these things even more than they are; this process has proven to be much more frustrating than expected. theres no instructions for these pipes, and not a single thread/youtube video on how to install them. if anyone on here has these pipes, please take a picture of how it mounts to the rear footpegs, i cant figure out that either, theres a bracket it came with but i havent been using it. just want to get this stupid thing back on the road o_O

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
I know on the 250 some times the crush washers stick in there pretty tight. If they aren't removed, the exhaust won't seat properly with new washers. But that may not be what's causing your issue.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had Mac pipes years ago and believe I had to file down the reducing rings to get them to fit.

flite is right, make sure you use new crush washers of course.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so there was old crust washers in there but they were really thin, and i tried just filing for any burrs on the metal but it still didnt seal. so i got some copper rtv for exhaust and put a 1/2 bead after the crush washer, installed and its been about a day for it to set and it appears to be sealing good. thanks for tips flite & dnc, ill be posting some pics of this thing soon, it came out sweet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts