Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
The old O ring is probably permanently distorted from age and use. New ones are round in their cross-section.
An O ring does NOT have to fit tight from side to side to seal. Most O ring glands have some play. They must, however contact the base and the surface of the two materials you are sealing.
In case I am not describing this correctly, let's imagine a wedding ring. It would fit the finger snuggly, but could still slide up and down the finger between the knuckle and the first joint. Of course, the O ring wouldn't move that far in its groove, but it can have a llittle side play and still seal, as long as the top and bottem contact each surface that should be sealed. If you can install 2 o rings side by side, that might be too much side play.
In my experience, the measured cross-section diameter is usually less than the specified nominal diameter. For example, an O ring that was spec'd as 1 1/2 OD and 1 1/4 ID "should" have a cross-section that measures .125 (1/8"), but it might actually measure .118

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel 450
11 Posts
My O-rings came in today. The dimensions I previously gave are correct to a point. The issue I see is that the diameter of the original o-ring is not a circular cross section. It's wider than it is tall, more like an ellipse. The new o-ring fits nicely on the tube and extends above it correctly, it just doesn't fill the horizontal gap completely. I remedied this by using two of the new o-rings. I'm hoping this works with no leaks. I'll try to get to it this weekend.
I found Metric 3.5IDx5.5OD Viton o-rings on McMaster-Carr that fit nicely for the accelerator pump crossover tube. Like you I also found that putting two o-rings on each side fits best since they are only 1mm wide. I will run fuel in the carbs this weekend before installation to make sure nothing leaks.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,601 Posts
Good to see such old pet posts are still of use. This is the first update this thread has had since 2016.

Reactions: Walnut311
21 - 24 of 24 Posts