Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the size of the O-rings on the small aluminum tube (Fuel Joint) that connects the carbs? The Joint is no longer available and I believe it was sold with the O-rings attached.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,774 Posts
Looks like this one includes two bowl gaskets and four O-rings. Two for the carb drain screws, and two on the fuel joint set.

·
Super Moderator
32,774 Posts
If you have a store that stocks small O-rings, I'd take the part(s) there and see if they can match it up. Make sure the O-rings are made of a fuel resistant material.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one seems to have o-rings this small. They may even be metric o-rings. Didn't know they even made metric o-rings. There is a website on-line called the O-Ring Store. They seem to have both standard and metric and made of different materials for particular applications. I may order several sizes to get the right ring.

·
Super Moderator
7,990 Posts
All Japanese bike & car o rings are metric

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you ever determine the size of these o-rings. I need new ones and went to a local rubber shop. That was two months ago and they keep giving me the run-around. They were supposed to make some for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No I haven't. This seems to be Honda's best kept secret. Still looking though.
I will keep looking as well. unfortunately my bike will be out of commission until I get this resolved. I found some websites that will make custom o-rings. I may go that route. If I'm successful I'll order extra and let you know. I'd hate to have to sell my bike for parts because of the inability to find this o-ring.

On a related subject, I tried contacting Jack's Rebel Warehouse for these o-rings and I get personal voicemails for both phone numbers they have listed. Neither voicmail mentions the business or Jack. Has he closed his business?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Many times, O rings do not have to be exactly sized, within reason.
Let's say you are installing one around the OUSIDE of a shaft or tube. Pick an O ring that looks close and install it. Try (gently) to slip the shaft into its bore.
If it assembles quite easily, try the next larger size.
If the shaft/O ring doesn't want to go, or is very tight, try the next smaller size.
As you stretch the smaller O ring over the shaft, it will reduce its diameter just a bit.
If it still won't go, pick the next smaller size. The thickness diameter will keep reducing as you stretch the O ring.
Even if the O ring is slightly loose on the shaft, as long as you can assemble the pieces, all will be well.
Some lube is recommended, and will help in assembly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't find o rings this small. It's difficult to ask s vendor for the rings without s size that are also safe with gas. If anyone finds them I would share in the cost of ordering and shipping. I need 12 of them. You can find me on my Facebook page: Fred's Rebels.

Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
286 Posts
Google ""Standard ORING sizes" and a size and dimension and industry standard number chart will appear.
It would be best if you (or a friend) had a digital caliper that would read to thousandths.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I broke down and bought a digital caliper. The metric dimensions of the small o-rings on the fuel joint are C.S.= 1.0 mm, I.D. = 3.5 mm, O.D. = 5.5 mm. I found a supplier online. I'll report back once they've come in and I've had a chance to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My O-rings came in today. The dimensions I previously gave are correct to a point. The issue I see is that the diameter of the original o-ring is not a circular cross section. It's wider than it is tall, more like an ellipse. The new o-ring fits nicely on the tube and extends above it correctly, it just doesn't fill the horizontal gap completely. I remedied this by using two of the new o-rings. I'm hoping this works with no leaks. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts