Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:greetings10:I was thinking could i swop out my old 250cc engine for a new 450cc and if i were to do that where would i buy that and what model should i use. what else do you i would need to change. Also keep in mind wherever i get the engine from they would need to be able to deliver.:Thanx:

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
there is no direct swap available to stuff a 450 in the 250 frame.
It would not be a good idea anyway as the 250 frame lacks the structural integrity for the added torque and horsepower.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you might as well buy a 450 complete. im not one for telling someone to just buy a different bike but sadly this is one thing that you either have a 250 or a 450 and believe me, theres a thread of an sv650 having an sv1000 engine stuffed in to it, it worked well but it takes aloooot of fab work. ...well not that much but you get the point :)

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
you might as well buy a 450 complete. im not one for telling someone to just buy a different bike but sadly this is one thing that you either have a 250 or a 450 and believe me, theres a thread of an sv650 having an sv1000 engine stuffed in to it, it worked well but it takes aloooot of fab work. ...well not that much but you get the point :)
Yep, I couldn't agree more. you can think of a 450 as a Rebel 250 that was modified by the Honda factory to accept a 450 cc engine. Almost every part of it is different. The frame and cycle parts are all designed to handle the additional loads and speed potential, and everything fits just right. You get all that for the price of an old used bike. Plus if you look after it you can sell it for almost what you paid for it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep, I couldn't agree more. you can think of a 450 as a Rebel 250 that was modified by the Honda factory to accept a 450 cc engine. Almost every part of it is different. The frame and cycle parts are all designed to handle the additional loads and speed potential, and everything fits just right. You get all that for the price of an old used bike. Plus if you look after it you can sell it for almost what you paid for it.
plus look at how weird the 450 frame is

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
It looks like that frame has been tweaked (bent), but it could be the camera angle. Looks like neither of the cross members are horizontal.

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
You're probably right, and I'm not trying to say otherwise. But if the frame is asymmetrical, what's the reason for it? I suppose only the designing engineers would know.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
It looks like that frame has been tweaked (bent), but it could be the camera angle. Looks like neither of the cross members are horizontal.
sadly i think this how its actually made, if anyone with a 450 would love to chime in and confirm that ,that would be awesome.
The 600 Shadow is also constructed this way. I don't subscribe to coincidence, seeing as the 450 assembly line was retooled for the 600 Shadow. ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here is my take on getting a "450":

All of the modern inconveniences, including ABS.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
:thumb:Sweet ride John!

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Here is my take on getting a "450"
Wait, what's with all of the paper and cardboard underneath? I see that under a lot of Harleys but that's the first time I've seen it under a Honda...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
pre oil change?
hey shadowshack, that bike has a centerstand :D
Honda, not a tourer (actually what Honda calls a standard)

·
Registered
461 Posts
The paper and cardboard are because I lube the chain, frequently, with ATF. It can be a tad messy.

{Yes, there is a new ATF experiment in progress; hopefully this bike will not be replaced before any stretching can be noted. The last experiment had 11K miles on the new chain with no chain stretch when the bike was sold.}

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts