Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
If you can't get it over 45-50 you definitely have problems. I would say the most likely cause is in the carb somewhere, or possibly the throttle linkage is out of adjustment. But others have brought up other good possibilities, and they are also worth checking out. I seriously doubt there is any kind of "governor" on it.

I get about 70 mph out of mine, and have hit an indicated 80 (actual 75) the Rebel speedometer is hopelessly optimistic, with a slight tailwind and tucked in. I usually cruise at an indicated 60 mph (actual 55.7 GPS), to leave some room on top. I don't believe in running any 4 stroke engine at wide open throttle for very long at the time. Jerry.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Jack and carbworx, though I have never used either of them. I have cleaned hundreds of motorcycle carbs, and only had problems with 3 or 4. One of them was on my '94 XT225. The carb body had a hairline crack in it I couldn't see till I checked it with fluorescent dye. I got a replacement carb at a salvage yard for $20, and just used the main body, after a thorough cleaning. It worked flawlessly, and still does.

Overall, cleaning a carb is a very simple thing. but there are a couple of things that can mess things up. One is something like what happened to my XT carb, a crack or plugged up tiny passage. The other thing is putting the carb back together wrong, and that has happend to me (a trained and experienced mechanic) a couple of times. Once I remember while installing the diaphragm, spring, needle and slide, I got a spacer in the wrong place. I was absolutely convinced that is where it went, and took the carb apart and put it back together several times the same way, before finally getting out the manual, and realizing what I was doing wrong. Worked fine when I got it together right. Jerry.

·
Banned
2,279 Posts
Before jumping at things, it wouldn't hurt to eliminate a few things first. Are the tires at the proper pressure? (the pressure shown on the sidewall) Is the chain adjusted properly? Do both wheels spin easily? Could the brakes be dragging? Are you sure you sure you have it all the way into 5th gear? Have you verified the gearing by actually counting the teeth on the sprockets? Someone could have lowered the gearing. Not likely but possible. CDI is also not likely, because I don't believe the Rebel has a built in rev limiter. I agree it doesn't sound like the clutch, but it might be worth checking out. Is the cable adjusted properly, with about 1/8" free play in the lever? Does it have a sufficient quantity of 20w50 oil in the engine? Have you checked the valve clearances? Does it make any unusual noises, like maybe a loose cam chain? What do the plugs look like? Does it seem to accelerate up to it's top speed ok, or is it sluggish just off idle? Does it sound like it might be misfiring at top speed? Is the throttle cable opening the carb all the way? Are the throttle cables adjusted properly? Does it seem to be running rich? Is there a strong exhaust smell? have you thoroughly checked the choke? With the complicated "enrichment circuit" that the Rebel has in place if a simple butterfly choke, there are several things that can go wrong with it, and a couple of parts are prone to breaking, especially the plastic (plastic?) threaded connector that screws into the carb body.

My first "guess" would be the carb, but the problem with guessing is that it can cause a lot of unnecessary work, and in some cases, wasting a lot of money replacing perfectly good parts. Better to try and narrow it down as much as possible before buying anything Jerry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts