Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was push-starting my Rebel for some time as the battery had gone dead. When push starting of course, it feels as if a lot of pressure would go onto the gear in the transmission once the clutch is released, eventually starting the engine. One day I heard a crack, and 2nd gear ceased to catch. On doing an oil change, small shards of metal came out.

When riding and putting it into 2nd gear, it just makes a machine-gun like tattering sound and never catches. I have managed to ride it for a while now, starting in 1st then moving to 3rd straight away. But, the thing needs to be fixed.

I opened up the transmission, just the cover, and couldn't see a thing from that side.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
can't inspect the gears without splitting the case..
I would be looking for a used engine or lower end and save myself a lot of grief..

Engine removal and teardown is your next move imho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm totally new to engine work at all, I was thinking it would be a gear I could replace, but I suspect doing an engine overhaul would be required like you say.

Would you have any recommendations on a guide for doing so?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
You are in for an adventure rebuilding your first engine..
For technical help check this Link, along with forum members who are happy to help.

·
Super Moderator
29,135 Posts
With a service manual, patience, time, and the right tools, you could do it. But if I were you, I'd be shopping for a used engine.

For future reference, using higher gears when push starting is usually easieron the rider and probably the bike.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have an idea, you sheared off the dogteeth on the side of the gear.
the noise only when trying 2nd gear is the stubby-broken ends grinding away.

If you had sheared off gear teeth it would always make noise since both shafts always turn (except in N)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts