Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
My name is Hipolito and my son and i are planning a 6 hr ride in two weeks and are looking for the biggest saddle bag he can fit on his 2012 Rebel 250. I have seen some small ones that work and some larger ones that look good in photos but worried that they will be to big. Any one have advice on some bags? Any photos out there?

Thanks in advance

Hipolito

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I've been using Inspire 2008 Lockable Bolt-On/Throw Over saddle bags nearly a decade..
13" L x 11" H x 5.5" D, they are large enough to carry gallon of milk, 10# of potatoes, etc.
Largest Slant bag I could find.. Longer lengths often require relocation of turn signals..

Pros: internal metal framework around opening..
Cons: PU leather shrinks while becoming very stiff with years of UV exposure, feeling like it will crack in cold weather

Had a set of Willie & Max Standard Series Straight Saddlebags on the Suzuki.. Synthetic Leather stayed supple cold or warm, showed no sign of shrinkage with years of high desert sun and snow..

if I ever replace the Inspire bags I will be looking at a larger Willie & Max bags and relocate turn signals..

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
1) Get some saddlebag supports, they bolt on quickly and easily replacing the 2 bolts you can see in the rear fender that appear to hold that chrome strip to the fender. It makes a big difference to keep the bags off the frame/chain/wheelspokes, etc.

2) You don't have relocate the rear turn signals for really large bags if you just throw them over the passenger pillion and use a couple of bungee cords to keep them from sliding around. Pick some bags that have some adjustment to the yoke and you can likely tuck the top edge below the rear turn signal, or shift them forward a bit without interfering with being able to put your feet down at a stoplight.

or

browse my garage photos on the micro-bagger I turned my 250 into...

Reactions: Nardospark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I couldn't agree more. If I am using PU leather there's no way I'd put it on anything exposed to the elements. The Lamellar Medium Bags above are great. They're actual leather that's been waterproofed...they'll hold up much better over time.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I couldn't agree more. If I am using PU leather there's no way I'd put it on anything exposed to the elements. The Lamellar Medium Bags above are great. They're actual leather that's been waterproofed...they'll hold up much better over time.
Lamellar bags are hard plastic shell with leather glued to exterior..

Does not appear Lamellar sells the medium bag any longer.. At least I can't find it on Viking site, which only lists the Large lamellar bags for CMX250 it's 18" long and would require relocation of turn signals..

I haul large items, a wide opening has always been my need.. the Willie & Max 7.5" wide opening is better suited for my travels than 5" wide opening of the Lamellar large bag.. At 13.5" long the Willie & Max Montana leather saddlebags will fit like a glove without relocating turn signals..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not something I have installed, so doesn't answer the OP's question, but...

I have had my eye on these for a while now. I'd remove that bar around the box though. I like the idea of having more lights. They will require some custom fitting though if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not something I have installed, so doesn't answer the OP's question, but...

I have had my eye on these for a while now. I'd remove that bar around the box though. I like the idea of having more lights. They will require some custom fitting though if I'm not mistaken.
Wait until you get some feedback here before buying those. I had thought they might be a good option too, but I believe some other Rebel owners have given them the thumbs down for various reasons. I could be mistaken on that, so will be interested to hear what others say.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Don't hold much, crummy lights and wiring, weak plastic hinges prone to breaking, the mounting points don't fit the Rebel, and I wouldn't trust the plastic to hold them up without the bar. Other than that, Ok I suppose. :nonono::nonono::angel::rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Hard saddle bags won't let you over stuff them. Leather bags usually have adjustable closer buckles, and can be over stuffed. I can't tell you how many times I was glad to buy leather bags. But I agree that hard bags look better. If you want looks over function, that's what you have to decide. Just saying...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fair enough flitecontrol! I was hoping to throw away the bars and mount through the plastic with some reinforcement inside and out, but it sounds like that box is too flimsy, which was a concern.

Guba - I'm more interested in the functional aspect than looks. I don't really care if it's hard or soft.

These are my requirements:

Waterproof a must. I am not reliable enough to remember to put on covers and when it rains here, it rains (100" avg. over 6 months has been known). I was interested in these, but I can see water will easily make it into the bag from the front, it has a cover over the side, but no flap at the front and back off the lid.

Lockable a plus, mostly to stop opportunistic thieving.
I don't care if I need to relocate indicators and I can fabricate simple mounting (ie bar inside and out, nut'n'bolt through everything).
Cheap. $200 is my limit.

I've been looking around for just regular ABS plastic boxes, but hardly any of them come with a top lid, they are usually a briefcase configuration. Pelican has some possibilities but too expensive. Still looking....

·
Registered
227 Posts
.... Pelican has some possibilities but too expensive. Still looking....
I have been studying ammo boxes to see if something might work. The metal ones look very rugged, but I’m not sure how well they seal up.

Plano has some watertight/gasketed plastic ammo boxes at very reasonable prices, but I haven’t id-ed a specific model that might work yet.

Finding one that fits the Rebel dimensionally is tricky.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have not seen commercially produced bags/boxes at your price point that are 100% waterproof..

DIY ammo can side boxes are about the only item that could qualify as waterproof at low cost..
there are other military cases that may fit your requirements..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought viking bags and no need to cut or tape wires when relocating. Tjey are simple plug in and look nice when done. My son did mine last week

I bought some Viking Bags bags for about 325. I had to relocate aka cut off my turn signals and then wire them up to the relocation bracket with the license plate. It's not pretty but they've held up through lots of weather.

Bag Link : https://www.vikingbags.com/lamellar-black-medium-leather-covered-motorcycle-hard-saddlebags-11625-prd1.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking for not expensive small bags so there is no need to relocate turning signals.
Here viking thor were recommended, but I'd like to know more options to try finding used ones at ebay.
Please share what you have.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts