Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i bought a 1985 Rebel in rough shape. I live in Hawaii so the weather here is hard on a bike. Wasn't much chrome left on it for the rust. stripped it. Did paint, new tank, carb. kit, etc. Fired right up, but would only run on 1 cylinder. Changed coils, new cdi, checked wiring. I can switch plug wires around, runs good on other cylinder. This is my 3rd. Rebel 250. They are great for the island. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Inside the solid sparkplug boot there is a slotted fastener, when unscrewed/removed there is a resister in that hidden chamber. Periodically I take that apart and clean it because it corrodes heavily. Have you checked that? It is a weak link in the Rebel ignition system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inside the solid sparkplug boot there is a slotted fastener, when unscrewed/removed there is a resister in that hidden chamber. Periodically I take that apart and clean it because it corrodes heavily. Have you checked that? It is a weak link in the Rebel ignition system.
replaced with new ignition coils and wires and boots.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
if you can shift the problem by switching wires - can you also shift the problem by switching coils? new coil doesn't always mean good coil - could also be a bad wiring connection or bad wire upstream of the coil

·
Registered
156 Posts
With a multimeter and a factory service manual you can test your coils and wires to find the fault.

Reactions: PahoaSteveHawaii

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a multimeter and a factory service manual you can test your coils and wires to find the fault.
thx alan, Do i need an adapter to check the stator?
Am i wrong in thinking you should be able to start bike in neutral without pulling clutch handle? Mine wont.

·
Super Moderator
29,673 Posts
You aren't wrong about starting in neutral. Does the green neutral light come on?

·
Registered
156 Posts
As for your starter safety circuit, you've got a neutral switch inside the left side engine cover #18 in the upper left:
https://cdn.partzilla.com/MTE/d/a/MjAxNjMwNQ-a2a1c933.png

It could simply be unplugged or possibly it has failed. This is easy to spot if your neutral light never turns on.

Other than that you've got a switch on your clutch lever perch #9:

Honda Motorcycle 1985 OEM Parts Diagram for HANDLE SWITCH | Partzilla.com

And it doesn't look like you've got another switch at the kickstand like gen2 Rebels and all 250 Nighthawks do.

You shouldn't need an adaptor to test your Stator, the connector has 3 yellow wires. Test between all 3, 2 at a time until you've got all combinations covered, the 3 should have continuity. Then measure from each yellow to ground (a clean spot on the engine case will do) none of the 3 yellow should have continuity to ground. There are lots of videos showing this test on various Hondas, all with 3 yellow wires operate on the same principle.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Don't know what y'all are talking about by checking Stator
If you are running on one cylinder the stator, pulse generator, nor the CDI is the problem..
has to be wire from CDI to Coil, Coil itself, or Plug...
Assuming you have coils positive and negative terminals connected correctly..
Rebel is a Wasted Spark ignition system with CDI firing Both Coils/Spark plugs at the same time...
1st generation 85-87 ignition circuit below...

PS careful checking voltages out of stator as they are over 100 volts alternating current..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you can shift the problem by switching wires - can you also shift the problem by switching coils? new coil doesn't always mean good coil - could also be a bad wiring connection or bad wire upstream of the coil
yes, I have tried switching wires and coils. I'm getting service manual soon.
You aren't wrong about starting in neutral. Does the green neutral light come on?
Yes, the light comes on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts