Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i inherited my reble from my father who passed. its got about 8k miles. so my question is this. its got an oil leak then started to have issues idling. ive already replaced the seal on the left side (cant remember the exact name but its on the spindle that has the mag on) and replaced the gaskets to no avail. when pulling some of the engine apart i smelled fuel in the oil. can you awesome people point me in a direction as i only have experience with car/truck engines so this is all a bit new to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i replaced the left seals and gaskets as i saw that was a common issue but did not see any other issues besides that, the carb has been cleaned and it looks like its been coming out the puke valve.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
There is no puke valve! There is a puke tube however and it basically separates engine oil from the crank breather. In those Rebels where humidity is high, it fills up faster than those where the humidity is lower such as where I live. If the puke tube starts over flowing it starts wetting the air filter which leads to other issues. Proper oil fill is a DEFINITE for the Reb!

At 8K miles I don't know where the fuel is coming from! Sounds like your looking for issues! This is a bike that is pretty much so simple it's bullet proof. 8K miles is nothing for any issues to occur, unless you have a really old bike.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Fuel in the oil usually indicates a leaking float valve or a stuck float (in the carb). Try tapping on the bottom of the carb with a screwdriver handle to unstick the float. When you park the bike, turn the petcock to the off position to keep fuel from leaking past the valve. When you cleaned the carb, did you replace the rubber tipped float valve? As they get old, they develop rings around the tip and the rubber gets hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay so the carb was done at a shop right before my father passed, but i can check that out tomorrow. and as for the bike its about 85-86. sorry for forgetting such a simple piece of info. but like i said im not all sure what has been the issues with it before i got it. as for the petcock its always off when not running. that much i remember, just a bit dense when it comes to anything besides riding

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
If the carb sat for many months with gas in it, and the engine wasn't run, it's very possible the gas evaporated and the carb is dirty again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts