Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, so i replaced my rear tire last year with a dunlop d404 and its already completely squared. Ive literally put 3k miles on it, I check the pressure before every ride (29psi) and i basically only ride twisty roads (literally taken on the highway once). to me this is unacceptable, I expect at least 7-10k on a tire, does anyone have a recommendation for a hard tire that will last? ive searched for a thread on hard tires but everyone saying get soft because ride will suffer, but idc if im replacing tires every 3k. the same happened to my bridgestone tire last yr too, ive gone through 2 tires in 2 seasons riding 6k miles! ive got rt66s on my 450 but ive only ridden it 500 miles so cant say whether theyre good or not.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I don't think any motorcycle tire manufacturer is going to advertise their tires as "hard". In my experience, the Pirelli MT66 outlasts any other brand I've tried. Definitely more durable than the Kenda Cruiser tire.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I heard going over to the darkside helps rear tires last a lot longer. Just sayin'.

I'm running the factory rear tire. I'm at just over 3,000 miles. It looks OK to me. Seems like it should last 10k from what I'm seeing so far. And I've done plenty of straight line riding, while laying down INSANE amounts of hp. All 17 hp! What I mean is, I've ran mine at WOT probably over 1,000 of the 3,000 miles. And the stock rear tire (whatever it is), still looks darn good to me.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I don't think they make an automotive (aka darkside) tire that will fit the Rebel. At least not with the fender on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hmmmmm, I thought I saw a picture of one of the members running one. I could be mistaken...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
believe me, I thought about it. after watching ryan f9s video though seeing you have to counter-steer constantly seemed kind of dangerous in an emergency situation, i.e swerving a huge pot hole, not a risk im willing to take. i ordered a mt66 should be here soon. thanks for the input!

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I went to the darkside on the VN750. Didn't make me have to counter steer any more than I did with a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know what brand of tire I had on the front but it was only about 3 years old with limited riding and I noticed the tire has "cupped" ie regular wear dips all around the tire. The wheel is in the shop and the tire is being replaced, the tech had no answer for the wear pattern and I don't either. I have always kept it inflated, maybe it is cord damage?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think you are right on at least three, poor quality tire, balance and misaligned, a couple of times I routine checked the pressure and it was down to 10 lbs. but the tire didn't look flat at all, stiff walls I guess. I don't know if that is good or bad? In a couple of days I will have a new one and we will go from there.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I would think 10 psi would be extremely low, about 1/3 the recommended pressure. That too could have played a role in tire wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts