Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never got a chance to ride my bike much until I had to put it into storage, but it used to run very well.

Well, stupid me, I left fuel in the bike and it sat for about a year. I know, I know. Dumb. Anyways, I just got done cleaning and reinstalling the carb, but now the dang thing won't start or stay running unless the throttle is pulled on, even a little bit.

Not sure how to diagnose this one, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the carb is still dirty. What method did you use clean it? Once everything (tank, carb) is clean, before putting fuel in it, install an in-line fuel filter to keep the carb clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The method I used to clean the system was to pour a bottle of seafoam into a tank full of fresh gas, and let that soak through for a day. Then removed the carburetor and broke it down, soaking all of the pieces for a little more than 24 hours. After that, I cleaned each piece one by one and then rinsed and dried them before putting it all back together.

The bike had been struggling to start, but would get up and running as long as the choke was almost all the way closed. Now it wants to start right up, but only if the throttle is open a little, and the bike keeps running as long as the throttle is open.

The second I release the throttle, the bike dies.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
SeaFoam isn't a very aggressive solvent, and more than likely the carb is still dirty. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, they do a very good job of cleaning carbs thoroughly and quickly. The next best method is to soak only the metal parts in Berryman Chem Dip for a minimum of 48 hours. Longer won't hurt and may reduce the need for additional soaking. Chem Dip will destroy rubber and plastic, so none of those get soaked. After soaking, rinse everything thoroughly with water and blow out every orifice in the carb with high pressure compressed air. If it still doesn't act right, repeat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any recommendations on an ultrasonic cleaner? We have one at work, but it is a medical office so I don't think they'd be happy if I used it for this.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
I have a medical grade cleaner I bought used off craigslist. It's probably cheaper to pay a shop to clean it than invest in one unless you plan to clean multiple carbs. Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have the situation finally under control... I had the idle speed knob turned all the way out during cleaning so I could get solution between the spring and the screw.

Now that I've adjusted it, the bike is running properly.

Thank you for all of your help!

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Good to hear you fixed the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts