Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
Adjust the clutch-play when the engine is at working temperature (to compensate for thicker clutchplates caused by the heat). Shift to "N", preferably if the Motor is running and the motorcycle is rolling.
The gearbox works best if the shafts both, are turning. If you have to stop with gears engaged and "N" is difficult to shift to...yes.. switch off the Motor and shift then.

Registered
2004 CMX250C Rebel in red.
Switching off the motor to find neutral at a stop light? Is this a documented design defect? ;-)

Super Moderator
I can't find N to save my life when it's running but turn it off and it goes right in. I have gone into it a few times when shifting up but have only gone into it twice when down shifting. I figure this is just something that sometimes happens..
It's almost impossible to shift into neutral unless the bike is moving, if only a bit. Things in the transmission have to line up, and to do so, the bike needs to move.

Please start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's in the future.

Registered
It's almost impossible to shift into neutral unless the bike is moving, if only a bit. Things in the transmission have to line up, and to do so, the bike needs to move.

Please start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's in the future.
Something for you to consider:

Registered
Today I removed the primary drive (clutch) cover on my 2004 Rebel. With the cover off, I was able to discern that I can rock the entire clutch basket back and forth. WHAT!? The basket has a large gear (transmission input) that meshes with the smaller gear on the crankshaft. That gear should NOT exhibit end play. If it does, the primary gear mesh is affected. But that is beside the point. If the basket can be rocked easily by hand it indicates the clutch hub nut is loose. That's the nut with the four little indentations you see when you remove the clutch springs and all.

Now, this bike, although from 2004, has less than 2k on it, and has never been "opened". I'd guess it was that way since new.

If you have a Rebel that is hard to shift into neutral, it is not safe. The bike should function like any other normal bike and shifting into neutral should NOT be difficult. It should be "Click--Done!"
A loose clutch hub can allow the clutch plates to drag when you pull in the lever. It seems worse when the bike is hot/warmed up. This is not safe.

I'm awaiting arrival of the proper tool to remove the clutch hub nut. I will disassemble, replace the clutch plates and springs, re-torque the clutch hub nut to the proper spec and report the results.
Thank you for providing this informative forum.

I must say, Honda certainly has some tough gasket adhesive when they assemble these littl bikes!!

Regards!!

Super Moderator
That nut cannot come loose if it was properly staked. Sounds like the factory messed up. See my note on the other thread about the judder spring and torque setting.

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
"hard to find neutral on motorcycle" is a common complaint about most makes of bikes
simple google search returns About 15,200,000 results
rolling stopped bike back and forth an inch or two while shifting is the common solution..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts