Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey group,

I just purchased a 2008 Honda Rebel with 9k miles on it as my first bike to learn on. When purchased everything seemed great. It was clean, no leaks, no damage from being laid down, it brakes great and shifted through he gears really smoothly.

When I got it home, I gave it a good bath, cleaned and lubed the chain, which I don't think was ever done. It was pretty bad. I also adjusted the gear shifter to a more down position.

Yesterday we went to a local parking lot to practice and the bike feels as though it's shifting out of first but just revs as if it's in neutral and won't accelerate.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
sounds like you adjusted shift lever in a way that it's out of parallel with rear shaft.

Welcome to the forum BTW..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response. I'll go take a look and see if that's the issue.

The motorcycle community is filled with such great people willing to help one another.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
I've updated the graphic to address adjustment method

hope you find it helpful

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After diving into this a bit further, Im under the impression that I need ot replace the clutch. I have ordered the necessary parts to do this myself. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I get ready to do this clutch replacement I have a question. Sorry if this is obvious but I'm new to this. Do I need to only replace the friction discs or do you need to replace the clutch plates as well? I can't seem to find a video or details about it. What I see is most people scuffing the clutch plates and only replacing the friction plates. Is this a correct assumption on my part?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
You should only need to replace friction disks,, be sure to soak in motor oil a few minutes before assembly.. You might consider installing new clutch springs, and lightly sand plates with 200-400 sand paper to remove any glazing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should only need to replace friction disks,, be sure to soak in motor oil a few minutes before assembly.. You might consider installing new clutch springs, and lightly sand plates with 200-400 sand paper to remove any glazing
Thanks so much. That was my initial thought, so it's nice to have you confirm that. Yeah I also purchased new springs to replace along with the friction plates.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
42 Posts
First of all, make sure you need to replace the clutch. Adjust the shift lever so you can actually shift it and go up 2-3 gears. It might stall in a higher gear, but see if the clutch engages at all. Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly. It seems unlikely that it failed all at once. Clutches usually fail slowly as they wear.

The shifter should never be adjusted by using the threaded rod. It throws the angles off. Always adjust it by removing the part that attaches to the splined shaft coming out of the engine. Move it up or down one spline at the time.

Did you change the oil? If you put energy conserving oil in it, that likely ruined the friction plates.

All the information about replacing the clutch is correct. The springs should be fine. If you do replace them, use oem Honda parts. Check the steel plates for straightness by laying them on a completely flat surface (mirror, glass table top, I use a medicine cabinet door) and using a very thin feeler gauge, go around every plate and see if there are places where the gauge will go between the plate and the glass and places where it won't. If you find any, that indicates the steel plates are warped and also need to be replaced. If you have a service manual, it should say what size feeler gauge to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK folks, Im at the point of putting everything back together. I am replacing the friction plates and springs. My question is when I put the new clutch cover gasket on do I use any sort of adhesive or gasket maker to hold the gasket in place and give it a good seal?

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
The gaskets do not require any adhesive or sealant. A light coating of Vaseline or grease will help hold them in place during assembly, but isn't usually necessary. Didn't read through the entire thread, but did you soak the friction plates in oil before assembly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gaskets do not require any adhesive or sealant. A light coating of Vaseline or grease will help hold them in place during assembly, but isn't usually necessary. Didn't read through the entire thread, but did you soak the friction plates in oil before assembly?
Yeah, I soaked the friction pates in fresh oil before assembly. and am ready to put the cover back on. Here's to hoping it all went well. Fingers Crossed

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
Sounds like you have touched all the bases. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Everything is put back together and running/shifting smoothly all the way through the gears. I also changed out the spark plugs while I was at it and wow were they torched. Im really happy with where the bike is. Now it's time to get new tires and my MSF course is next weekend. I'm so excited to be freeeeeeeeee

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
Good for you!

Have you installed motorcycle tires before? Not all that difficult with some tire irons. Old tires are really stiff, and I lift the bead high enough to hacksaw through the steel cords, being careful not to damage the rim. Makes removing the tire the rest of the way a lot easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have never done tires before. I believe it has the original tires on it as they are cracked all the way around the sidewalls and in between the tread. Since buying this bike used I wanted to bring it to a shop for tires as they will have ot take the wheels off and will also adjust the chain and such when reinstalling.

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
The tires definitely need to be replaced. I hadn't done tires, installed a chain or adjusted one either before getting my first Rebel. But I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself. There are threads here on the forum and many YouTube videos on how to do all these things and more if you decide to try.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am in a similar position as you with having a rebel 250 as my first bike and recently finished the MSF BRC course. I recently lubed up my gear shifter and it fixed my recent shifting issue. There is a thread on it if you haven't seen it.

Don't forget to lube your gear linkage

Also, same as you, I am getting new tires put on by a shop. I thought of doing it myself but chose not as I just wasn't comfortable tackling all that esp for rear tire and wheel.
When shop does this will they adjust chain and even clean the chain since it's all accessible?

·
Registered
2001 CMX250 El Bandito, 1984 CB650SC Bike Tyson
185 Posts
I recommend getting a new chain and sprockets. Mines a bit older, but time and lack of lube claimed many orings in the chain.

·
Super Moderator
30,191 Posts
Also, same as you, I am getting new tires put on by a shop. I thought of doing it myself but chose not as I just wasn't comfortable tackling all that esp for rear tire and wheel.
When shop does this will they adjust chain and even clean the chain since it's all accessible?
Expect them to charge for adjusting the chain and rear brake, in addition to wheel removal, tire change, and install. If you are paying for the tires from the shop that installs them, expect a bill of $350-500, and possibly more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts