Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

2006 Rebel 250 battery/starting issues

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DeliaChav 
#1 ·
Hi! I’m new here. I’ve been reading through so many threads and a little overwhelmed. I have a 2006 Honda rebel 250, I’ve had it for 5 years and it rode great when I first got it. I got pregnant and the bike sat for 1 season. Then I had it tuned up and only rode it a couple of times last season. I have replaced the battery once last year and I put it on a tender over the winter. I fired it up this season and battery was dead (they tested it at the auto store). I got a new one, bike started no problem for a week. I didn’t ride it for 2 days and now the bike will not start without being charged. If I charge it and turn it off, it will not start after 30 minutes. I just got my volt meter in the mail today. I tested the battery it’s at 9 volts (after sitting 2 days since I last charged it). My neighbor says it may be the alternator, or could I have gotten a faulty battery?? I’d like to try and figure this out myself since my service department is completely booked. I’ll take any suggestions and a pdf of a service manual if available 😁

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. I've seen free pdf manuals online in the past, but don't have a link for you. At 9 volts, the battery is a goner. Did you charge the battery before installing it? With batteries, you often get what you pay for. Yuasa is a very good quality brand, and what Honda puts in the Rebels at the factory. They often last 10 years or more if properly maintained, and only cost a few dollars more than the cheap ones. When you get the new battery charged, and installed, measure the voltage when it comes off the charger, when first installed, with the bike at idle, and then with throttle. Measure it again when you shut the bike off and one hour later. If the last two measurements aren't the same, measure again in another hour. That should reveal if you have a parasitic drain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.