Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

2004 rebel 250 rolls while in gear

5K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  kryton 
#1 ·
New owner trying to figure out what happened. Coming off red light switching to 2nd bike lost power to rear wheel...as if I were in neutral no matter which gear I switch to. Bike rolls freely without holding clutch while in gear with engine off...is this a burnt clutch?

#3 ·
Yes, didn't we hear a story not long ago about someone losing their chain and wondering why the bike wouldn't go anymore. It could be the clutch, but seems odd that it would totally fail in one instant. The other possibility, of course, might be that it is still in neutral and is not shifting at all.

#6 ·
No need to remove sprocket cover.. you can see the chain at the rear wheel. When you roll the bike can you see the chain rolling at the back wheel?
If the chain is turning both sprockets and you are sure the bike is in gear, then the clutch is disengaged. Time to take it apart and figure it out.

#7 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
Just to add to SoakedKarma's comments, the next step is to remove the right side engine cover where both the clutch and the shifter mechanism can be examined to determine the real problem. You need to drain the engine oil first because that cover is wet, and you will need a new gasket to replace that cover.

#12 ·
The center part with the 4 bolts should be locked to the outer basket. If it turns when you roll the bike the clutch is disengaged (worn out?)

#13 ·
hmm...watch the shifter pawl as you try to shift out of N and see if it is actually rotating the gearshift drum or if the drum is going partway and springing back to N.

Try spark plugs out, unscrew the 2 access plugs in the left side cover so you can turn the crankshaft with a socket wrench, and see if the clutch pack turns when you turn the engine by hand, watch closely to see if the fiber disks and the metal rings are sliding past each other, also watch the front drive sprocket's shaft and look for it turning or not.

#14 ·
I have never seen a clutch fail completely all at once. They start slipping first. The linkage may be jammed, and holding the clutch disengaged. I've never had a Rebel clutch apart, but every clutch I've ever worked on has been very similar. Since you have the right side cover off, go ahead and disassemble the clutch and see what you find.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks again guys.....I'm going to have to wait for a special socket to remove the clutch, I added a video of me manually cranking the engine....seems as if the clutch is rotating as a whole...discs dont seem to be sliding past each other. Is there anything else I can check in the meantime?

#16 ·
Cranking the engine proves nothing. get on the bike while in gear and roll it forward. if the inner part of the clutch turns and the outer part does not then the clutch is slipping.

#19 ·
Something is not adding up here. IF the bike is in gear and rolled forward, then the chain should roll and turn the countershaft sprocket and shaft. If the clutch is not slipping then then the engine must be turning over too. Everything should be locked up.
What is going on with your bike?

#20 ·
Wish I could describe it better...according to drum stopper plate I am in 1st...when I roll my bike I have no movement on the clutch side at all, bike rolls freeley...the chain spins the front sprocket and shaft... I can lift rear wheel and spin back tire and it moves front sprocket and shaft

#21 ·
Are the countershaft gears not meshing with the mainshaft gears? Maybe a set ring is hanging out on the shaft. look in that transmission area with a flashlight.

Attachments

#22 ·
Bike is not in gear...if it was, the clutch and engine would be trying to roll with the rear wheel. Can you try for another gear?

#24 · (Edited)
"Shut the motor off while you think it's in first and try to push the bike in that state (without applying clutch lever). If it's in first and everything is kosher the motor will fight your progress. If it pushes easily it may actually still be in neutral; in that case you should be able to get it into first by applying pressure to the shift lever while pushing the bike (again, without applying the clutch lever)"

Found this online...havnt tried pushing it while applying pressure to shift lever..going to try this when i get back to the bike....if this dosnt work is there any way to tell if something on the counter rod is stripped without opening the gearbox? Is there anything else I can try to get it into gear

#26 ·
"Is there anything else I can try to get it into gear
I'd get violent with that shift lever, and probably regret it, but If it was caught between gears then a good kick would give me some info. manually turn the shifter to get maximum leverage...the hard part is doing that while rolling the bike.

#29 ·
SO you can't make ANY gear engage? Can you shift the gears up to 5th? you will have to roll the bike a little as you press on the shifter.

#30 ·
Shift through ALL the gears and watch this 5-point star, make sure the spring loaded roller goes over the point and settles in the NEXT space between points.

A) either your shifter is only partially turning this part and it is snapping back into the neutral position or
B) It it rotating but it is not rotating the drum behind it to move the forks
C) the forks are not connected to the drum
D) the countershaft between the front sprocket and the gears is sheared.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.