Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of buying my first bike a honda rebel. anybody have any idea if 2200 is a good price for a used 2002 Honda Rebel.

also i went to a dealership and they wanted 4800 for a new 09 rebel.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Most dealers are getting around 3395.00 for their new 2009 Rebels, but 3995.00 should be the MAXIMUM amount.. there are a lot of really nice 2002 Rebels selling for 1,200.00, but if you are having trouble finding one at that price point, you will still be getting a good deal as long as you enjoy it and ride it. There are a lot of places to spend your money once you purchase the Rebel. Tires, Sprockets, Chain, General Maintenance, Windshield and Chrome.
Save enough to also take a safety course, license, tag and insurance. Do not over pay if you also have to invest money into making it right..

2200 is a good Value, regardless of whether it is the best price, but do not get taken. Make sure it has been maintained and that it runs smoothly.

No one likes to wait, but the 2012 will be out in October.. Best time to ride is NOW, so work your deals...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought my 2003 with 5600 miles for $2k, and in retrospect, I thought that was a little high (dented fuel tank, old front tire). There are a number of things to check on a used bike; mileage, wear, leakages, rust. There are better ppl here that could probably run through a good checklist for ya, or bring along an experienced biker friend to help you eval it.

In the end, though, if you're really happy with it, the cost (plus or minus a few hundred) doesn't matter so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my 02 for $1300. Has 935 miles on it. Mint condition. Dealer checked it over and did general maint right after I got it and said it was a heck of a bike....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a 2002 for $1500 with 3k miles on it. Dealer did a comprehensive check and installed a trickle charger adapter.

Seeing some of the above prices, I think I should of haggled more :)

I did look up the value before going to make sure I wasn't paying too much. Kelley Blue Book has a motorcycle section and I know there are other sites that will give you the range of price a motorcycle is worth. Doesn't hurt to be prepared when visiting dealers.

Here are a couple of sites I found
New Prices and Used Values for Motorcycles, ATVs and Powersports - NADAguides
Motorcycle - Trade-In Values & Retail Prices - Kelley Blue Book

Good luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I got my 2000 for $1,200 with 7,500 miles om it. It was in good shape but needed tires. This added another $125 but necessary. In retrospect, I should have done this right away.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I got a 2002 for $1500 with 3k miles on it. Dealer did a comprehensive check and installed a trickle charger adapter.

Seeing some of the above prices, I think I should of haggled more :)

I did look up the value before going to make sure I wasn't paying too much. Kelley Blue Book has a motorcycle section and I know there are other sites that will give you the range of price a motorcycle is worth. Doesn't hurt to be prepared when visiting dealers.

Here are a couple of sites I found
New Prices and Used Values for Motorcycles, ATVs and Powersports - NADAguides
Motorcycle - Trade-In Values & Retail Prices - Kelley Blue Book

Good luck!
Funny how 3 or 4 hundred dollars makes such a big difference.

When you go to sell your 2002 it will bring in more than 1500 and you are not even a dealer..

in ten years it will bring at least 3 grand

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I guess I don't feel so bad paying what I did Ferrarimx5 :) Thanks for the info! Guess I'll be taking extra good care of my bike now- not like I wasn't before... lol

·
Super Moderator
30,025 Posts
Welcome. Good buy!

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Welcome aboard.
That is a good deal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got my 03 for $675.00 14,000 miles on her but she runs like a champ. No problems so far but i do need to order a chain and 15T sprocket. The gas tank has 2 dents that will be meeting up with some bondo this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking to sell my 2002 Honda Rebel 250. It needs about $500 worth of work to get it in running shape. It has less than 1,000 miles on it. What would be a good price to start at?

·
Super Moderator
30,025 Posts
Go to kbb.com, find the trade in value, and use that as a starting point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go to kbb.com, find the trade in value, and use that as a starting point.
Thanks. I stopped at a local Honda dealer today as well. He said to start the ask at $1,000 because if you put about $500 into it, it would be a great bike. I'm going to start there. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts