Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my daughter bought this bike last summer for leisure rides but it got some faults and I'm trying to help, I have no manual nor much experience with bikes. Problem one was the starting failure, found out the battery was quite tired even after being recharged so it was replaced. It ran ok till she stored it for our Canadian winter..ouch! Took the battery out and stored it in a warm place.
Fast forward it's Spring and got the bike on the driveway. Put on the battery and fresh gas. It hesitated to start and didn't start. Checked the battery voltage and showed 11.5 v so I put it on charge, now it's 13.5v not running. Checked the plugs , seem the right ones N G K cr6hsa and 0.016 gap. Not sure about the gap .
The spark plugs showed some black oil .
Are there specs for the carburetor?
Any tips or advise I will appreciate.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
7,811 Posts
Welcome to forum .Sounds like you have a dirty carby . Due to not draining it before storing for winter, give the carby a good clean and you should be ok

·
Super Moderator
29,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Dirty carb is the number one issue these bikes seem to have. There are several threads stickied in the "Wrenching How To" section dealing with carb cleaning. I'd suggest you drain out the old gas and put it in a car. Drain it into a clean container so you can see if there are traces of rust from the tank. If there is rust in the tank, it needs to be removed. Once the carb and tank are clean, install an inline fuel filter to ensure any crud in the fuel doesn't reach the carb.

Here are some threads dealing with the above: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f39/carburetor-disassembly-and-reassembly-1743.html

https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f39/tank-cleaning-7168.html

https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f39/how-to-install-a-fuel-filter-13278.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some work done on the Rebel. Changed the oil, put new spark plugs N G K. CR6HSA gap 0.024in. Drained the gas out of the tank, looked a bit yellowish but no rust or sludge. I have to change the air filter and have to order it. But afterall It started after a few tries but we realised there's a problem with the idling. How can I adjust the carb without pulling it out ?
I can't find a reliable video on line.
Any ideas or heads up? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,310 Posts
Are you using the fuel enrichment (choke) lever to start? Most, but not all, Rebels require some, even if the ambient temperature is warm. Too much or too little will make it difficult to start. Pull the lever on the left handlebar about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way towards you. Gradually push it to completely off as the engine warms. It can take several miles for the engine to warm to the point it is no longer needed.

You can adjust the pilot screw labeled #5 in this diagram: https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e037f870021c54be031c/carburetor From the factory, there is a cap on top of the pilot screw that keeps it from turning too much. The tab, or the protrusion on the carb it hits against, can be removed to allow adjusting the screw without having to remove the carb. It should initially be turned out 2 3/4 turns from lightly seated. That should get you in the ball park and it can be fine tuned from there. The idle screw, #10 in the above diagram can be used to set the idle once the engine is completely warmed up. Idle speed should be set to 1,400 rpm plus or minus 100 rpm.

Those three things, and changing jet sizes (not recommended), are about all you can do to adjust the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a million 'flitecontrol', those tips sound ideal for a starter as a tech and a rebel rider. BTW, I found out the air cleaner was installed the other way round and was wondering why the metal retainer was loose inside the Air Cleaner compartment. Well I saw a vid and sure enough I got the answer, now it's in the right position and my daughter gave it a try and sounded much better but tomorrow will do some adjustments as
per your advise and following the thread.
Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the idling in good running order with some tweaking and listening closely to my fairly good hearing.
Choke works ok and changed the air filter.
Oil changed and installed new spark plugs.
I'm happy with the results, just gotta take it for a good ride.
Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts