Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

2001 Honda Rebel 250 Value

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kryton 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I was hoping to get some opinions on how much a 2001 Rebel 250 with 30,000 miles should cost, while assuming the following facts.
  • 1st Owner.
  • Took great care of the bike.
  • Was on point with all the maintenance.

Here is the ad for the bike
https://imgur.com/a/uTornZX

Also what kind of issues or maintenance would I be looking at with the upcoming mileage.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Prices vary from one area to another, so I would recommend consulting KBB.com for motorcycles. It looks like the asking price is reasonable for this area, assuming he will accept less.

I'd ask the seller how often he changed the oil, and if he did so every 1,500 miles or less, the engine should be good. Rebels that are well maintained have gotten over 100,000 miles. Also ask if he sealed the aftermarket tank. If he did seal it, ask what product he used. Caswell epoxy is the best IMO.

In regard to maintenance, check the air filter and ask when the valves were checked/adjusted last (should be every 4,000 miles). There is a tube with a plug in it in the cluster of tubes behind the right rear side of the engine (affectionately referred to as the "puke tube"). Remove the plug and drain the contents into a container. If it's more that about half a cup, the owner probably didn't know to drain it periodically, and his claim to superior maintenance may not be valid. If the tires and chain/sprockets are in good shape, I would be willing to offer more than one where a tire or chain/sprockets need replacing. Check chain wear by grasping the chain on the rear sprocket at the three o'clock position. If it moves much at all the chain and sprockets need to be replaced. Here's a checklist of what to look for when purchasing a used bike. If you don't have prior experience, try to get someone who has done bike maintenance to go with you when you look at it. https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f74/revised-bike-checklist-8551.html

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply!

Im over in NYC, KBB and NADA seem to only have prices for trade in and buying new from a dealer. They also don't let me enter in the mileage like they do for cars.

Amusing just the chains and sprockets will need replacing within the next 1000 miles or so, what would you personally try to bargain.

Also quick note for everyone else, don't google just the words "Puke Tube", add motorcycle or honda rebel to your search string lol.

#4 ·
KBB should have an average retail price, which should be in the neighborhood of what it's worth. The relatively high mileage would bring it down some IMO, but as indicated in my first post, if the oil has been changed often, wouldn't concern me much. The off color tank would bring it down too. On a positive note, the saddlebags and rear rack are a plus, but probably don't add more than $50 value to it.

If it were local, I'd offer in the $600-$700 range and possibly go up to $800 if the tires and chain were new.

#6 ·
ECON101: price is what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept...

that said, KBB makes a good guideline to start from. I did the query on what you reported, trade-in $1010, retail $1560, private sale is usually a mid-point between the 2 ($1200-$1300). KBB doesn't do mileage adjustment on motorcycles, just shows an expected value list, and 30K for an 17 year old bike is within expected.
and it can't price the BCB forward controls, saddle bags, luggage rack, or aftermarket 3.5G fuel tank.
Is the tank vented or did the seller modify a gas cap for venting an ebay-bought tank (might one day become important to know)?
battery side cover doesn't have the chrome band, so perhaps the covers and tank are ebay affordables?
Nice dust boots on the forks.

Only my opinion but if it is running well and scheduled services are the only wrench turning you are looking at, I'd get it at $1000, seller could easily justify asking more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.