Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New rider, my first bike, I got it about a month ago and have been riding it to work.

About a week ago it started doing this at about 70 mph, it'll jerk a bit and then die, I have to then downshift to 3rd gear and start her up again.

I have no mechanical craftyness or knowledge, but am really interested in diagnosing this issue.

Also my clutch is crap a new one is set to arrive next week.

Hello from San Diego

·
Super Moderator
7,799 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride. Sounds like your tank vent is blocked

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
You more than likely have the California emission control tank vent. The tank vent goes into an "emission control canister". The canister itself may be plugged.

It's operated by the purge control valve. If the valve isn't working the tank also may not vent properly.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
What year is your Rebel? Not sure how it gets there, but several members with California models have reported carbon from the emission cannister getting into the carb. That will definitely cause problems.

Are you going to install the new clutch parts? If so, invest in a service manual. It will guide you through the process step-by-step with narrative, pictures, etc. Be sure to soak the new clutch plates in engine oil (XXW-40) before installing. Most XXW-30 oils contain friction modifiers, which will cause the clutch to slip, so avoid them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Year is 2000.

The clutch will be installed by a Honda motorcycle tech, I work in San Diego but live in Tijuana, Tijuana still has Honda Motorsports dealers, and a lot of their techs do side jobs outside the shop, so he'll be installing that clutch.

How do i clear out that tank vent?

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
You can diagnose whether or not the vent is actually blocked by riding it with the gas cap unlocked and just resting in the hole. Note: don't do this with a tank full of gas! If it doesn't die, more than likely the vent is blocked, assuming the tank is OEM and comes with a vent tube. The Chinese made replacement tanks on ebay are unvented, like the 1985-86 models. Those bikes came with vented gas caps. If needed, venting the cap is easily done.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Locate the vent tube from the tank. Follow the tube to see where it goes. If it ends at a canister it is the California emissions type. If the tube goes into anther cluster of tubes and vents out the bottom of the bike, you have a "normal" Rebel.

If you have the canister, make sure all hoses going to the carb are intact and no cracks. Vacuum at the carb is what opens the purge control valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts