Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, I purchased a 1999 Rebel 250 from a private seller. Turns out he works as a bike technician at a dealership 2 hrs away. He started the bike and kept it running for about 10 minutes while we talked and I looked over the bike. I decided to buy it. We loaded it up on the trailer and I drove 2 hrs home. When I got home it was dark, so I turned the ignition switch to "ON" so I could use the headlights as an additional light source. Before I got the bike off the trailer, the lights went out and it went completely dead. The next day I put a new battery in it and still completely dead bike. I'm new to bikes and not the most mechanical person out there. I thought I was buying a reliable bike but now I feel scammed. I found the fuse box behind the battery and both fuses looked good. I still changed them out and still have a dead bike. I also checked the ground on various spots of the bike and everything was grounded properly from what I checked.

My question is: Is there another main fuse box on the bike that I could check for blown fuses? Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 CMX250 El Bandito, 1984 CB650SC Bike Tyson
170 Posts
Try jumpstarting it from a car with it's engine off. If it starts, it's still a battery issue.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,883 Posts
Main 20A blade fuse is attached to starter relay.. which makes for 3 fuses on your bike..

Now let us talk about the new battery..
most often they come dry and seller or buyer has to fill with acid after which it must be charged 2 amps or less for at least 3 hours.. 1 amp charger for 6 hours as you have 6 amp hour battery..
Quick charging a motorcycle battery 5-10 amps can destroy the battery plates..

I'm with MaconMan77 that you should try jumper cables without car engine running..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I bought an glass mat battery and hooked up my 3A battery tender til it was 100% . The battery reads over 13v and when I checked frame ground it was 13v at various parts of the bike.
Ok, I just found the starter relay and the fuse looks good. However, when I pulled the contact out it appeared to have some moisture in it. I also checked continuity for the starter relay wire and i cant get my continuity with my light nor anything with my multimeter using ohms, and no voltage coming through. The starter relay wire has electrical tape wrapped around it, so I'm wondering if the wire has been cut/chewed and the previous owner wrapped it in electrical tape to cover it up. One of the first things I did was open the air box when I got it and there was definitely a mouse nest inside the air box, so it seems to make sense that maybe a mouse chewed a wire. I've ordered a new relay and a new relay wire, so hopefully this will solve my issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick Update: Although the 20Amp fuse looks good, I did switch it out and the bike powered up again for 20-30 seconds before losing power again. I think this confirms that either the starter relay or the wiring to/from the relay is the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,883 Posts
Look into wiring between starter relay and Ignition switch/fuse block or Starter relay to Voltage regulator..
If you had a short beyond fuse box the lower amp fuses would blow before the Main fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious, would it make a difference if it only shorts out when the ignition is turned on but the bike isn't running? When I bought the bike the seller turned it on and the bike ran for probably 10-15 minutes while I chatted with him. However, the 2 times now that I've turned the ignition switch on but haven't started the bike it goes dead. When I get off work today, I'll change the fuse again and start the bike up to verify this.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,883 Posts
anything is possible if others have been into elect circuits
you should strip back any aftermarket electrical tape to inspect the repair.
the delay in fuse blowing has me a bit miffed.. assumed the fuse is blowing..
don't discount possible bad main cable connection though
with extra 20a fuses on hand, pull both 10a fuses in fuse block, switch ignition on again.
does 20a fuse blow again? yes? unplug Voltage regulator no? >switch off >plug in headlamp fuse >switch on again..
process of elimination..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts