Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Mine could use to be cleaned up and polished as well. I’ve decided to call it “patina” and ride it as is until I need to tear it down for something. It just runs so good now I don’t want to mess with anything.
This thing ran perfect too 👌 I think as it has Sar for an unknown period of time in a police impound. I rode it home, about half a mile, and the only thing that didn't work was the rear blinkers.
I don't think I'm going to open up the carb. But we'll see...

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
How did you clean the engine before painting? Glass beading, sandblasting or another way?
The reason I ask, is my '86s engine is very weathered from being stored outside by the PO. I'd love to get it looking nice again, but without a complete teardown. I don't mind pulling it to clean it. But, since it runs so well, I don't want to mess with the internal perfection.
You know, I scrapped as much off with a plastic knife, my favorite tool of nondestruction,
Followed by a cup of gasoline, I use the removed tank as a supply, and using cheap polyester 1" paint brush. As I brush the grime I constantly wipe the brush off on a paper towel. The brush will wipe completely clean. Then followed by anything non metal, careful with your stainless toothbrushes as they scratch. Scotchbrite pad is good. Then when clean enough, paint thinner wipe down, then alcohol wipe down.
Sounds labor intensive as it is 😜

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,201 Posts
Oy Vey! (Something that my 1st wife always used to say). I was hoping for something a little easier. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,201 Posts
Swing arm sorted
Starting on the forks. Fork tube is a corroded disaster!
At least the important part is still shining. The actual part of the piston doesn't seem too terribly pitted. Aesthetics aside, it should work great.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
You've probably answered these questions before, but I have to ask again, because I forget easily. To buff the metal that nicely, do you use some sort of buffing wheel, or just 'Armstrong'? Are you planning to clearcoat or leave them to oxidize naturally?

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Mine was really bad from setting outside.
I actually started with 150 grit worked my way through all the grits to 2500. Wet..
The best polish is Flitz, but man is it expensive. Mother's aluminum and mag works 💪 almost as good and less 🤑! with buffing attachments on the drill. Bench grinder better but don't have anymore 😞
Nobody paints polished aluminum in my house!
After looking good, finish with the Flitz and it'll be good for one year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Taking a minute to shout out to my partner and best friend Anne. She has supported all my obsessions from airplanes to motorcycles and more, continuing today. I couldn't wish for a better soul mate for life.
Thanks Anne 😊

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Reinstall air box. Spooge line was completely full. Clean, reinstall along with moisture vent line. Need that filter spring!
Put the carb back on unopened. Remove, clean and rinse bowl drain screw. WD40 Spray down and wipe off lightly w/ scotchbrite followed by just a good old rub down.
Wire harness falling into position.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
If Amish are in your area go to one of the harness shops. They can do it, & do it well.

Reactions: Yazman
61 - 80 of 114 Posts