Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,410 Posts
Replaced ball bearings with tapered roller bearings, imo steering improved.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,201 Posts
^^^^ I bought those too, but haven't installed them yet.
Pa Kettle voice, "Gonna hav'ta fix that one of these days"

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Clean frame looks pretty good 👍
Except the two places shown 👎
My goal, yeah it's a personal thing I have, is to re-create a brand new 1986, from the dealer restoration. I'm after the feeling you get setting on new bikes at the dealership. I just wish I could make that smell inside the showroom. What is that smell. They have the market on that one 🤔

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,201 Posts
High here today is supposed to be 91°F with almost 100% humidity, including thunderstorms. The highest that I've ever had to work in is 104°F, so I can't imagine the heat that you've had.
It's good to see that your project is still moving forward in spite of the heat though! Keep hydrating!

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Prepare engine for once over
Don't really want to remove the starter clutch. It was working perfectly. Very smooth,, very clean inside cover, easy to access later. Hope I don't regret it. Research shows lots of difficulty for removal, especially working off my truck's tailgate. I'll protect it from contamination and keep my fingers crossed 🤞

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,410 Posts
Easy to get good angle on exhaust stud..
Are you replacing them all?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube of how to remove a stud that was down in like that pretty easily.
He used a copper tube just just smaller than the hole to protect the threads, and welded a bolt onto it, then threaded it right out. The heat from the welding expands the area so it moves more freely. Genius idea!

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yes, I'm a firm believer in stretched bolts. They're all coming out.
I saw the welding utube video to. I've seen people do that on v8 car engines.
I don't have a welder, but I've got every kind of extractor made, I think. Plus I've got a GOOD hear gun.
Now I just need permission to use the coffee table!😁

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Starter clutch had to be removed along with plate,timing indicated, Starter clutch chain gear and plate locating pins.
Mine didn't just pop off. Ace Hardware $6 #16x1.5 bolt, ratchet strap, hammer and lots of persuasion.
It needed to come off any way. Inspection required.
1st paint session accomplished successfully.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I've often wondered how much, if any, painting an engine that depends upon air cooling lessens it's ability to cool properly? Is there a special heat conductive paint that people use, or are the changes so minuscule so as not to matter?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Hmmmm.... I guess, but is it a special conductive clear coat, or, just regular high heat clear coat. I really don't know, just thinking out loud as it were.

·
Registered
1986 cmx250c
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Did some reading regarding this subject, and my I don't want to go there.

Being from the Aviation Industry, which, at my age, all our engines were air cooled. Factory Service Rep for TCM. Air flow is the most important factor in the cooling equation. I also fly RC airplanes with large gas engines that have powder coated cylinders. No issues.

I decided to go with engine paint, 1100 degrees, gasoline and oil resistant, readily available and $12 a can. 🙂

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
How did you clean the engine before painting? Glass beading, sandblasting or another way?
The reason I ask, is my '86s engine is very weathered from being stored outside by the PO. I'd love to get it looking nice again, but without a complete teardown. I don't mind pulling it to clean it. But, since it runs so well, I don't want to mess with the internal perfection.

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450 (blue w/title and Black no title yet)
187 Posts
Mine could use to be cleaned up and polished as well. I’ve decided to call it “patina” and ride it as is until I need to tear it down for something. It just runs so good now I don’t want to mess with anything.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts