Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
1985 CMX250C getting rebuilt. I have it running now but I’d love some confirmation on what these blue and white wires are. Currently I have them go to ground. The first photo shows the 5 wires coming from the stator but the diagram only shows 4? Best guess is that the stator got replaced? The Blue/Yellow and Green/White wires come from the pulse generator and had corresponding wires on the harness that I just reconnected. The green wire is obviously the neutral light pick up wire. Just do not understand the blue and white wire? One theory is that this stator looks like it has two exciter coils and maybe it’s not original and the original only had one?
Rectangle Slope Font Schematic Parallel

Schematic Rectangle Font Floor plan Parallel
Gesture Finger Thumb Font Cable
Hand Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Gesture
Hand Hood Finger Nail Thumb

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,387 Posts
Not sure what you have going on, but may be a marriage of CM and CMX engine and frame..
The wiring you are showing is of a 82-84 CM250C Which has two outputs from Exciter coil one is White the other is Blue,, while the engine wiring appears to be of a CMX250C 85 or later engine..
Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Pattern
Product Schematic Rectangle Font Line

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,387 Posts
Think i got it bass ackwards someone has placed a CM250 engine in 85 CMX frame..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  • Think i got it bass ackwards someone has placed a CM250 engine in 85 CMX frame..
    No. I think your right. I think it’s a CM250 stator but everything else is CMX250C. I currently have both the blue and white wires connected to the Black/Red Wire that goes to the CDI. It runs. Do you see any issues with that? I don’t really understand what they do for the CDI so I’m not sure if it’ll be a problem?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,387 Posts
Exciter coils supply between 100-300 volts alternating current to the CDI depending on rpm.
The Capacitive Discharge Ignition box, stores that voltage until Pulse Generator triggers CDI to release the charge to spark plug coils..
I see no problem connecting both White and Blue to Black/Red.. It works, don't knock it 😉
Connecting Blue only should work too.. You would need to isolate White so it can't short circuit..

The engine serial number found left side near bottom of casing will indicate whether it's a CM or CMX engine..
Stamping can be found buried behind starter cable..
If serial starts out with MC06 it's a CM250 while CM13 would be 1st generation CMX250
2nd gen CMX began with MC32

1 - 5 of 5 Posts